That Should Be Me

Start from the beginning

"Go"

And Taehyung smiled at him gratefully, hugging him one last time as he exited the door...leaving Jeongguk in the darkness he is once again to experience.

"Ah!" Jeongguk exclaimed as his index finger got a small cut from the knife he is holding, hissing a bit as he washed it in the sink.

"You're so hardworking Jeongguk-ah" His boss, Kim Namjoon said as he pat his shoulders and Jeongguk just smiled.

"I'm expecting a pay rise, been eyeing this silver ring in the mall" Jeongguk said with a soft smile, imagining how perfect it would look on Taehyung's ring finger.

"Yeah, I know, for your Taehyungie. But please rest hmm? Look at your hands, and those bags under your eyes. You still have university tomorrow. You look tired" Namjoon said, frowning a bit as he is concerned with the younger but the boy only smiled widely, showing off his bunny smile.

"It's all worth it after Taehyungie saw the ring. We're not great lately and I know he will warm up again with me. Just a little bit of efforts" Jeongguk said before focusing back on work and Namjoon eyed him with sad eyes along with a look of amazement.

The boy was working so many part time jobs at the time. Saving for his school, for his future with Taehyung and a lot of dreams. The boy grew up in an orphanage, abused from his previous adoptive parents and bullied ever since he is elementary up to highschool. The boy already suffered so much...and Namjoon is afraid if he could take another blow.

Especially after he saw the boy's lover going out with someone else.

"I'm so proud of you Jeongguk-ah" Namjoon suddenly muttered and Jeongguk looked at him wide eye, cheeks reddening from shyness and happiness making the older chuckle.

"Work hard yeah?" He said, ruffling the ravenette's hair as he walked away.

Jeongguk eyed the ring in the box, eyes already tired to even shed more tears as the silver glint taunt his eyes, as if mocking him.

He felt so pity for himself, adding to it is how he limped as he walked towards his small room, remembering how he fall on the construction site just this afternoon, causing him to have a sprain. But he hid it from Taehyung.

As he lied on his bed, he can feel his walls crumbling. His colorfull walls once again revealing that dirty vandalized inside of him.

Dark thoughts enter his mind as he remembers how he was found on a small box when he was a baby, how he got beaten up by his adoptive parents for being an idiot, how he was bullied back then because of being scrawny, how his college mates laugh at him when they thought he is not listening because of his old stuffs and shoes that are glued maybe a hundred of times already. How people looked at him in the mall just a couple of hours ago like he doesn't belong there, as if he will do something wrong.

But all those hardships, all those darkness, he ignored them because he knows he have Taehyung. His only light. The only person he can hold onto, the only person whi can bright up his day just by a small smile. But he left him too.

He is somebody else's now. Somebody was holding his hand instead of Jeongguk. Hugging him, kissing him, giving him gift he deserves.

And Jeongguk questioned himself—Am I really not that lovable?

His eyes landed on his bruised hand from work as his ankle ache.

What does he need to do for anyone to stay? He did everything he can, give everything he can give so why can not anyone stay.

A new series of delayed breath escape his lips as he sobbed once again, pitying himself so much as he came with a decision.

He is so tired.