Father and Son?

Father and Son?

   The wind wailed between distorted trunks, carrying the sickly stink of rotten wood. Streams of moonlight illuminated the crooked branches and grooves of the trees around me, casting shadows and dark shapes in various areas. Within the shadows, branches thrashed and snapped, as I made my way along the winding path; which took me deeper and deeper inside this maze of underbrush and shrubs.

    For all my life I had lived within these woods; just me and my father. Often I had asked him why we lived here, but seldom did I ever get an answer. My mother, whom I’ve never seen nor spoken to, had apparently died when she gave birth to me…or so my father told me. Never did he ever speak of her or any of my family, perhaps I didn’t have any? No, surely I had to have someone; an aunt or uncle at least? But I knew better than to ask him of this; for in the past times that I had indulged in these questions I was often rewarded with a cold, hard glare and the silent treatment for a month. My father was a strange man; not only did he never speak of my family or of life outside these woods; he hardly ever even talked to me.

   It was routine now that every night my father and I would go into the woods and gather firewood. We would trek together, until we got to our usual spot on the trail where there was a fork and then we would split. This way we gathered the right amount of wood and didn’t leave an empty space in the forest. Before; when I was younger; I would be too scared to wander through the forest by myself, in case I came across a bear or wolf or a tree fell on me. When I had told my father this, he had laughed at me and put me outside saying “You can stay out there until you conquer this stupid fear. Only idiots are scared of the forest, are you an idiot son?” I had spent the whole night curled up beside the door, shivering and crying. Yes, sometimes my father was horrible, but I still love him…I have to.

   The door creaked as I entered the house. After dumping the wood next to the fire I began to search for my father. He was in his usual place, his study. To what he studies I had no idea, what is there to study in the forest after all?

   “Did you get enough wood?” Was his greeting to me.

    “Yeah, I did.” There was a long pause, in which neither of us said anything. “Look Dad I know you don’t like talking about this, but please tell me about what’s outside the forest.” I pleaded.

   “You’re too young to know.” He grunted; not taking his eyes off his papers.

   “I’m too young? Dad I’m 16, surely that’s old enough.” I retorted. This time he looked at me; his dark eyes glaring and strong jaw locked tight.

   “You really want to know about the world?” He growled and laughed sarcastically. “Alright son, I’ll tell you. Outside these woods is a place filled with people who work for themselves and no one else, there’s habitual offenders, backstabbers and scumbag lawyers with agendas. People who turn on each other; out there it’s a war zone, race against race; it’s every man for himself. Trust me son you’re better here; the people out there would rip you to shreds without second thought.” In the duration of him telling me this his voice had raised, until he was shouting it at me. I hated when he shouted. He made me feel small and insignificant. “Now, do you have any more idiotic questions for me? Or can I go back to my work?” He sneered. Silently I left the room.

   That night I wasted in sighs; my sleep kept at bay by the questions pounding inside my head. What had happened to my father out there that had given him this view on the world? Once; I had managed to spend an hour on his laptop and searched about the place beyond the trees. From what I discovered it was a place of infinite possibilities; a place where people’s dreams could come true. Had my father been a victim of someone else’s evil doing? Was he done wrong by some “habitual offender” as he called them? I wanted to find out, I had to find out, I needed to find out, and tomorrow I would find out… 

   Sunlight streamed through my window, warming my face. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up on the edge of my bed. I stood, my bones cracking at the movement. A quick glance at my clock showed it was 06:17; my father would have been out hunting for an hour now. It was my chance to get the answers I needed.

   The floor creaked as I crept along the hall, the fear of being caught in what I was about to do engulfed me. Who knows what my father would do if he found me? The glaring eyes or the portraits around me had me searching for any signs of him. Would he be furious? I was almost at the door. Would he lock me outside again? There was a noise from the other end of the hall. My blood ran cold as the thought of my father returning home early entered my mind. Freezing with one foot in the air; I turned my head behind me. 

   Nothing. There was nobody there; I let out a sigh of relief. But then the sound came again; it was a scuffling, almost like somebody sliding their feet on the floor. Yet still, no one came around the corner. Seconds turned into minutes, which felt like hours, in which the sound continued. A shadow began to creep around the corner, growing larger and larger. It was him; it had to be, and he was going to catch me. The shadow disappeared and a mouse whizzed around the corner. I almost collapsed in the blissful happiness of it not being him.

   Turning back around, I walked the rest of the way to the door and opened it. My father’s computer sat on the mahogany desk; papers stacked beside. I couldn’t believe that I was finally going to get the answers I wanted. Dragging out the chair, I flicked the machine on. After a moment waiting the screen came alive; with the worldwide web already up. Hitting the search bar I typed: Roy Thomas McAvoy. Several links appeared but one stood out; which made my heart freeze in fear and my body shake:

Roy Thomas McAvoy

Murderer of his wife, Marie McAvoy; and the abductor of a child, Shane Smith. Has been missing since May 12th 1995; the day the body of his wife was found. Police are still searching, but no leads have been found as of yet.