Your Car Breaks Down and This Girl Shows Up. You Still Calling For Help?

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, of course," Maze said. She stuffed her hands in her pockets and said, "Thanks for... organizing this for me. It's been a while." 

"Sure has been," Declan said.

Willa brought with her a cooler full of soda from Auntie's downtown soda shop. Together, they all sat inside Brielle's seance circle of mosquito repellent lamps, drank soda from their childhoods, and listen to the police scanner from the comfort of a massive rug rolled out from the back of Willa's truck. Amelia brought pillows and blankets, and if they wound up spending the entire night there, Maze wouldn't even question it.

She crossed her legs at the ankles and leant back on her elbows. Bryan was sitting beside her drinking orange soda like the basic bitch he was. He leant back to recline on the rug, but intercepted Maze's legs in the process.

"Oh, shit, sorry," Bryan started, but Maze propped her legs up a bit higher and said, "Don't be shy—You can lean against me."

Bryan glared at her as Amelia snorted. Maze looked back at her, beaming, only to turn back and have her forehead flicked by Bryan. Bryan shook a finger at her and said, "You're too fucking comfortable."

"Aw, I think it's cute," Amelia said, ruffling Maze's messy black hair. Maze shook her hair out and readjusted it over her shoulders before taking another sip of soda. "I've never asked—Have you dated anyone in The Big City?"

Maze scoffed, shaking her head. "Uh, yeah, no. It's not really been on my mind," she said. When she glanced back at Amelia with a smile as the girl went off on a tangent insisting that she'd find someone perfect for her, Maze caught Willa's eyes on her from where she was sitting between Grace and Felix.

Maze looked away immediately. Why did her heart have to race then, of all times, or make her cheeks flush red? She pressed her soda bottle to her flushed cheek with a scowl on her face.

It certainly wasn't because every time she looked at Willa, she thought about her ruined friendship with Kass.

Definitely not.

"—and I have a—Oh! But maybe you aren't into guys! That's okay, I have this friend from the suburbs who is totally your type and she would be so down—" Amelia said, and Maze bristled uncomfortably, covering her face with her hand. She could thank Josie for shutting Amelia up when Josie chucked her phone across the rug and nailed Amelia directly in the left boob.

Amelia crumpled instantly. "Oh, fuck—that hurt," she groaned, holding her chest.

"Quit pestering her! Let her be a virgin!" Josie said.

"Whoa, hey, who said I'm a virgin?" Maze cried, voice cracking, and beside her, Bryan rolled his eyes. It was evidence enough because if anyone knew the status of Maze's V-card, it was her best friend. Amelia cackled, leaning over Maze to shove Bryan in the arm.

"Y'all can suck my dick," Maze grumbled, which had Grace falling back howling with laughter. Maze grinned against the lip of her bottle before taking another long drink.

Declan leant forward to the police scanner. He dimmed the volume and, still sprawled on his stomach, feet in the air, he clapped his hands together like the devious villain he was and said, "Well, as much as I'd love to discuss the state of Maze's relationship status, I think now's the time to pack up."

As they rolled up the rug and gathered the mosquito lamps, Maze paused next to Declan and leant over to whisper a quick, "Thank you," into his ear.

He nudged her in the side and said, "You can thank me after I let you win."