I gave her a nod, promising that I'd be back soon. It was time to head to Fresno, settle shit with my dad, and return to Madie.

But first, I had a few stops to make.

I passed Nessa on my way out the door, and I had to swallow hard so that when I spoke, my voice wouldn't shake. It fucking sucked walking away from Madie when she looked at me like that.

"Hey," I said quietly after the door closed behind me. We were alone in the hallway, and I leaned against the bare wall. "So where can I find this Brodie asshole?"

Nessa's eyes widened in alarm before she shook her head. "No, Bren. Just leave it. It's settled."

"I would beg to differ," I replied tightly. When she didn't say anything, I added, "I don't know what to do, Nessa. I just want her safe, okay? And it seems like no matter what I do, she's left vulnerable somehow. I know I should have been here, but—"

"It probably still would have happened," Nessa cut in with a soft voice.

"What?"

"It probably still would have happened, Bren. Even if you were here, it isn't like you can be around to protect her twenty-four-seven." Nessa shrugged, feigning a nonchalance that I didn't see in her eyes. "But we got her pepper spray and one of those little shocker things to put on her keys."

That should have made me feel better, but it didn't.

"That shouldn't be fucking necessary."

"It shouldn't be," Nessa agreed with a solemn nod. "But we're girls. So it is."

Fuck that. She was right, of course. But fuck that.

Sighing, Nessa revealed, "Grayson was just going to a football thing down at the athletic center. Maybe Brodie is there, too. Don't do something stupid, though, Bren."

I raised my brow at the mention of this Grayson guy—the guy who I thought Nessa was totally not into.

Nessa saw my reaction and quickly added, "But if Madie asks, I didn't tell you any of that. Any of it, Bren."

"Uh-huh. Alright, Ness."

She glared at me. And then her gaze softened when she asked, "Will you be back soon, though?"

I nodded. She nodded. And then we parted ways after a brief hug.

Luckily enough, the other bit of business that I needed to take care of was on my way to the campus athletic complex.

McLaren Hall.

As I approached it, I stared down the weathered outer walls of the building. I could almost feel the rough-textured brick beneath my fingers—the smell of rain, the blossoming of desperation, the ache of wanting her.

This was where I'd stood with Madie in the rain that night. This was where I'd pressed her against the wall, cupped her face for the first time, and told her that I would kiss her every goddamn day if I could.

Fuck, I still wanted that. Why couldn't we just have that?

I pushed through the double doors, knowing that this was a long shot. But teachers always fucking complained about how much work they had to do over the weekend, so it was worth it to check. The school website told me that Professor Hale Evans had his office on the first floor of McLaren Hall, and so here I was.

When I found it, the door to his office was closed. But I gave it a knock just in case. And it wasn't until after I did that that I heard the soft moans and low grunts.