NINETEEN

Madie wasn't really smiling in this picture

Madie wasn't really smiling in this picture. It was more like a coy twitch of the lips that whispered a whole slew of naughty promises.

Soft strawberry waves framed her heart-shaped face, making me want to weave my fingers through her hair again. And even though evening shadows doused the photo, I could make out the necklace I'd gotten Madie for Christmas. It laid between her breasts, a dark glittering jewel. Art on top of art.

I didn't give a fuck about bra sizes or any of that shit. But I was obsessed with how I could cup her, squeeze her, how she fit perfectly in my grasp. Gazing down at my phone, I traced Madie's soft curves with my eyes before appreciating the darker outer ring of her nipple, which led to the pinkened tip. Exposed and waiting for attention, both nipples were hard.

A lot like I was right now.

I missed a million fucking things about Madie Lenertz—from her laugh to her kindness to her wild spirit—but right now, I missed having her here between the sheets with me. Without her, they were cold.

I wasn't, though. Shit, I was on fire inside, and I couldn't stop thinking about her.

This morning was particularly bad. For a second, I'd woken up and expected Madie to be there. I'd expected to be able to kiss her before finding a home between her legs. Fuck, I'd thought I was going to cover those nipples with my mouth and make her moan into the morning quiet. I'd been so ready to have her awaken beneath me. Or on top of me. Either way.

But then I remembered that I'd left Madie in Oakland. And I was here in Fresno with my throbbing dick in my hand, staring at her picture.

Did she think about me the way I thought about her? Did she wake up wet and wanting, aching and burning? Did she miss me in the morning, the evening, and everything in between?

It was like I was in goddamn high school again, trying to jerk off quietly so Caroline wouldn't hear me. But hell, thinking about Madie was the only thing keeping me going right now, so I didn't fucking care.

Eventually, I forced myself to emerge from my bedroom, wandering downstairs to find Caroline placing some photography prints in a few frames. She glanced at me as I walked into the kitchen before giving her attention back to the pictures.

Picking up an apple from the bowl on the counter, I took a bite. "Any word from the police?"

Caroline shook her head regretfully, and I clenched my jaw together. Staring out the window, I searched the backyard. The trees were knocking together, tangling with each gust of wind. It was wild out there today. How close was he?

It wasn't that I thought that the police would be able to march out there, find my dad, and arrest him within a week. But it was driving me crazy that he was probably somewhere just beyond our reach, and I couldn't even fucking contact him. I couldn't call him. I couldn't return a letter. I had no way to get a hold of him to say I'm right here. Come and get me, you asshole.