055. Kiss And Tell

Start from the beginning

       Harry went into a deep explanation about everything, like a sea of words that had no true significance or meaning to Venus. It felt like Harry was speaking a foreign language. "Horcruxes? That thing you asked me about, right?" she asked.

       Harry nodded. "If I get that memory from Slughorn, I can find out what they are and what they do."

       "—and Voldemort is using them to destroy the wizarding world?"

       "Basically."

       There were only four of them in Potions that afternoon: Venus, Harry, Ernie Macmillan, and Draco.

       "All too young to Apparate just yet?" said Slughorn genially. "Not turned seventeen yet?"

       They shook their heads. Venus was only partially telling the truth. One, she didn't need to apparate. And two, her birthday wasn't for another three months.

       "Ah well," said Slughorn cheerily, "as we're so few, we'll do something fun. I want you all to brew me up something amusing!"

       "That sounds good, sir," said Ernie sycophantically, rubbing his hands together. Draco, on the other hand, did not crack a smile.

       "What do you mean, 'something amusing'?" he said irritably.

       "Oh, surprise me," said Slughorn airily.

       Venus opened her copy of Advanced Potion-Making with an eager expression. As much as she'd love to continue reading her books surrounding everything she needed to know about Angels. Venus had made a promise to Constance to stop until Easter break.

       Determined to get a good grade without Harry's help, Venus skimmed through her copy of Advanced Potion-Making and found the instructions for "Star Grass Salve," which seemed to meet Slughorn's instructions, and Venus raised to the ingredient cupboard to grab Star Grass and when she spun around to return to her seat, her face met someone's chest. Draco Malfoy stood in front of her, he was so tall that Venus practically was shadowed from any light. "I'm sorry," she said lowly.

       He said nothing and only passed her and reached in the cabinet for his own ingredients. Venus walked calmly back to her cauldron and began brewing her potion.

       "Well, now, this looks absolutely brilliant," said Slughorn an hour and a half later, clapping his hands together as he stared down into the forest green contents of Venus' cauldron. "Star Grass Salve, I take it? Perfect standards and quality for an Auror, and. Rosario."

       He passed Draco's cauldron and poked his head inside, the blonde looked confused.

       "Hiccuping Solution, I see?" said Slughorn, his tone not had happy as it was with Venus. Draco nodded. "Acceptable."

       The bell rang and both Ernie and Malfoy left at once.

       "Professor — Professor, don't you want to taste my po — ?" called Harry desperately. But Slughorn had gone. Disappointed, Harry emptied the cauldron, and packed up his things.

       "Wow," Venus chuckled. "You're hopeless."

       "You mean we're hopeless," he said.

       "Wha—"

       But Harry took her hand and dragged her out into the corridors. They followed Slughorn everywhere, but the man wouldn't stop moving and turning corners, almost like he knew Venus and Harry were following him. Finally, he stopped in place. Venus and Harry poke their heads into the hallway. She concentrated at Slughorn.