Mari shifted the woman's weight a little on her shoulders and put more weight on her thighs rather than her knees. Eddie moved to walk in front of her, guiding them out of the warehouse.

"We need a wall!" she yelled over the roar of fire.

"I know! There should be a door nearby."

He grabbed her arm and yanked her forward just as debris came hurtling down centimeters from where she had just stood. Mariana blinked up at him incredulously and he shrugged. "I made a promise to Diego."

Bobby was waiting for them outside, a worried look written on his features as he paced back and forth. Mariana deposited the woman on a gurney and yanked off her mask, stretching out her back muscles.

"We're the first team out, huh?" she asked.

"Chimney and Hen are out too," he explained.

"Where's Buck?" Chimney cut in, looking between Eddie and Mari. They shot him a confused look in return.

"Could ask you the same question," Bobby replied.

"He split off when you lost two of your guys," Hen explained. Mari groaned at the words and shook her head.

"Eddie and I were fine. We never saw Buck out there."

"IC, this is Buckley, 118," Buck called over the radio.

"Buckley, did you ignore my direct order to evacuate?" IC demanded.

"He does that sometimes," Bobby sighed.

"I got the last victim, but this sanitizer has ignited all around me," Buck reported. "I wanna say I'm near the northeast corner Delta wall, but...I'm not sure. Sure could use some sprinkler action. They online yet?"

"Negative. We got you. Hang tight. We're gonna get you both out. Rig team, rig team, deploy. Delta entrance. I repeat, delta entrance. Rescue team's coming to you, Buckley."

"Copy you. Not going anywhere."

Mariana started to yank on her mask again, ready to ignore orders and haul ass with the rig team when the warehouse flashed over. A roll of fire erupted from the windows, shattering the glass and sending flames to kiss the sky. Heat washed over them and Mariana paused in her methodical movements for just a moment, thinking about her brother trapped inside.

///

2017

"Ramirez!"

The sound of Captain Nash's voice made the brunette grit her teeth in an effort to not reply with a nice hearty "fuck off". Dropping down from the pull up bar, she grabbed her towel off the bench and wiped the sweat off of her face.

"What?" she snapped in response, turning to find him standing there with a tall blond guy who looked ready to shit his pants. She raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms over her chest, waiting for Bobby to introduce them.

"Mariana Ramirez, this is our new man, Evan Buckley."

"It's, uh, nice to meet you. Everyone just calls me Buck," he stammered out, holding his hand out. She regarded him with an unimpressed look, her eyes trailing up from his hands to look him dead in the eyes. "Buck" let out an awkward laugh and pulled his hand back.

"Mariana here is in the running to be our engineer soon. Any questions about the truck and she can answer it, isn't that right, Mari?" Bobby said, adding stress to the whole idea of "being nice" thing he expected from her. She sent Buck a smile that looked more like a scowling grimace.

"Just because I can answer it doesn't mean I will."

Bobby shut his eyes and sighed before trying once more. "Mari, Buck is only a few years younger than you. I figured you might be able to take him under your wing and become friends."