Jacob

Beep. Beep. Beep. Jacobs alarm clock sounds, reminding him of the dreadful thing that was about to happen today. It's his first day of college. Jacob had been scared, but also excited to go to college.

Jacob had bipolar disorder, which in definition is a disease in which there are periods of depression that almost suddenly change to mania, and back and forth.

Jacob starts punching the alarm clock, wanting it to stop. The almost-adult he was, looks over at his pills on the counter, and sighs, wondering if he'll ever get better. With his disorder, he's tried so many times to quit, but couldn't ever do it. He shrugs it off, getting himself some breakfast. The pills, as tempting as they are, cannot be taken before his classes, because he can't fail college. Instead the boy takes a mug of coffee with him in his truck.

Once Jacob finally arrives at the college of his dreams, he takes a deep breath in. In. Out. You've got this. He thinks to himself.

As he enters the school, he is overwhelmed by all of the people and things. He keeps on his way, but is distracted by so many things on his way to his first class. His first class is Economics, taught by Mr. Hettinger. Once Jacob sits down, he notices this girl. The girl had thick black hair, and the most intriguing green eyes. She was wearing a skirt, Nirvana t-shirt, fishnet stockings, and Doc Martens. Jacob found her beautiful. So beautiful he couldn't keep his eyes off of her. Wow, he thought to himself, what a woman.

Mr. Hettinger starts taking attendance, and Jacob decides to learn her name. When Mr. Hettinger calls the name "Katie Raggart" and when the beautiful girl with an unsurprisingly pretty voice says "here", Jacob almost loses his mind. Jacob is so focused on her that when the teacher calls his name he forgets to say that he's there. Mr. Hettinger has to repeat his name twice, and the whole class laughs at him. Normally Jacob would care about this, but not today. Today he was in love.

Until fourth period, which he found out he and Katie had together as well, he thought about her. This girl may just be his whole world one day.

In fourth hour, which was advisory, he finds Katie in the library. He decides to go talk to her.

"Hey, whatcha readin there?" Jacob asks.

"Oh, me? Nothing really, just this book about a girl being murdered by her boyfriend." the girl replies.

"You're into murders?"

"Yeah, but why do you care?"

"I'm sorry, it's my first day here, and I just wanted a friend."

"Well, if there's anyone in this shithole that'll wanna be your friend, lemme give you a hint," she says, "it's not me." The girl smiles, almost making Jacob blush.

"You see, I just saw something different in you. Something I haven't seen in any of the people here besides you."

"Aww, you're sweet. But, you're not gonna win my heart by just saying that."

"Then how could I win it?" Jacob pleads.

"You're getting way too serious here, I'll be your friend, but not your girlfriend."

"You say that now, but you won't later." Jacob says, with a flirty smile.

"Sure. You know I have actual homework to do, and can't sit here and continuously be flirted with, so goodbye, and I hope you have a good day." Katie says, then leaves to the other side of the library.

Jacob has to sit down after all of that, thinking about what just happened, smiling from ear to ear. The entire advisory hour he got he couldn't stop thinking about her, therefore not getting any work done.

The rest of the day, Jacob can't stop thinking about the conversation he just had with Katie. He thinks that she's the perfect one for him.

When Jacob gets back to his apartment, he makes his dinner of microwave macaroni and cheese, still thinking about Katie. Wow he really can't stop thinking about this girl. He tells his friends from high school about his experience on the phone, sounding energetic for the first time in months of depression. His friends said they were very proud that he had found someone.

He was so passionate, that he talked about the topic until 11:30, while he needed to be up at 5:00 for school. He tells them that he needs to go, but will fill them in on what happens the next day. Jacob Alavarez goes to bed finally believing that his life has worth.