S1 E4: Things fall apart

Start from the beginning

"What's in the backpack?"

"All sorts of things. I like being prepared."

"Oh. Sorry."

Brooklyn enters the room. Yaz asks, "What's new on the internet, Superstar?"

Brooklyn says tense, "I wouldn't know. Because when I went to get my phone from its charger, it wasn't there. Someone stole my phone!"

Brooklyn paused, for someone to confess for the offense. After a moment of silence, Yaz says, "Brooklyn... who hasn't had your phone?"

"I needed to check the weather last night because I was scared of, you know, another near-death experience today," Ben confesses.

"Dr. Sattler posted a new column about microfossils yesterday," Darius sheepishly adds.

"The lighting this morning was too good to miss the selfie-op. But I haven't used it since and definitely put it back. I swear!" Kenji adds.

"I didn't use it at all. I've been cooking and organizing my backpacks." I say not pleased at the interruption. I was not even halfway done with this backpack. This backpack had almost everything I brought with me and the presents that Alice sent me. Sammy studders, "I... haven't seen it, either."

That starts a catfight between the other girls. Darius tries to keep the peace but is cut off by a ROAR. Brooklyn asks, "What was that?"

"Where's it coming from?" asks Sammy. Yaz runs to the balcone. She says frustrated, "Can't see anything from here. The trees are blocking everything."

"Maybe they're moving a new dino from the lab to another enclosure? We could probably see it from the Observation Tower!" Darius offers.

Sammy drags Darius out. Ben wants to stay but chickens out as I pick up my backpack and follow everyone. Kenji follows to see either a dinosaur or a catfight. If we just took the radio we would have heard the announcement: Asset out of containment. Repeat: Asset out of containment. Stay indoors! ACU is responding.

Everyone caged me but for no longer.

Everyone made it the Towers. The gate is locked though. Brooklyn picks the lock and everyone rushes up the stairs. She refers to her "Unboxing Kathmandu" and "Hacks for when you lock yourself out of your hotel room" videos. Yaz and I are the only ones not out of breath. A Brachiosaurus shows from the trees. Everyone sighs in relief. Darius reminds that Brachiosauruses don't roar and imitates bellowing. Two workers race out of the jungle in a panic, stouting up at us. We can't hear them. The Brachiosaurus goes down howling in pain. The trees start to sway. Whatever it was, must be huge. It is coming this way. Something emerges from thin air. It lungs out of the trees. The workers start to run but it was too late and it kills them both. Everyone gasps. Yas asks, "What. Is. That?"

Ben screams, "They got him! They got him!"

Brooklyn says, "In Dr.Wu's lab, there was a dinosaur. Indom-"

Sammy continues in a whisper, "Indominus rex."

Brooklyn gets suspicious. Sammy begs us that we have to go. Kenji thinks that it can't see us from this height while hiding behind Darius, but is proven wrong. I see little humans. The Indominus rex races over and tries to climb up. All it was doing was destroying the foundation. Ben almost goes over the railing. Sammy does, but Yaz, Darius, Kenji, and I hull her up and over. Darius points out the zip-line. Everyone rushes over. Kenji straps in Ben, and pushes him away. Next goes Sammy, Kenji, and Brooklyn. Then It was Yaz. Darius and I noticed that the emergency brakes were activated. Darius asks, " Are strong you? Like really, really strong?"

"What are you doing?" I ask. As Darius leaps at me, he screams, "catch me!"

I caught him. We zoom off. As we bump the others, the others move. The Indominus rex finishes destroying the zip-line foundation. The Tower goes down taking down the zip-line. We go down through the trees. As I land, my right impales itself on a stick from last night's storm. Kenji lands on top of me, pushing it deeper on the stick. I bite my lip to stop from screaming. I push Kenji off. He says, "hey!"

Darius gets up off the ground. Yaz helps Sammy up. Ben and Brooklyn are up already. We hear the thumping of feet. Everyone panics because it could be close. Darius panics because his necklace is missing. I removed my backpack, which surprisingly didn't break from the fall, and pulled out glaze and a roll of ace wrap. I remove the stick and wrap my hand first in glaze then in the ace wrap. Surprisingly, no one noticed my hand. We ran towards Camp, only to see it destroyed. I notice my blue small backpack on the ground. I pull close to my chest with my good hand. Inside of my blue bag are MREs and the two only stuffed animals I was ever given.

Sammy says, "Dave, Roxie, the other workers, they must've all gotten away."

Ben looks at a flipped over 6x4 and says, "Not all of them."

Yaz finds a radio and tries to call for help. No response. She says as she drops it, "We're on our own."

Everyone looks depressed, worried, and afraid. Brooklyn demands Sammy give her her phone. Sammy acts surprised. Another argument breaks out. Ben finally has enough, "No one is getting out of here! We just saw people get eaten! We're alone, we're defenseless. We're dead."

Darius says, "We're not giving up! I get it. It's scary. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Things aren't always gonna go your way. Life is messy and sometimes... Things fall apart. But that's okay because when that happens we pick up the pieces and keep going. And we never give up."

Brooklyn reminds him about his necklace, but Darius dismisses it. We make a plan to go south toward the main park to find an adult together or in Darius's words, "We're a team or nothing at all."

Ben offers an option of wait here. Kenji joins Darius, after getting shish kabobed by a piece of debris . Followed by Brooklyn, Yaz and Sammy. Then me. And finally Ben.

Farther away at the carnotaurus pen. The Indominus rex shows up.

Do you want out?

Yes

Then here.