Part 2, Chapter 6

"Right then. Tiger, please describe what your group uncovered in that facility. I think it's best that we hear it directly from the source." Hermes gestured vaguely forward, indicating the man in question should proceed. From the little Suvorov had seen of him, the dark-skinned, silver-eyed man's build matched his name quite well. Fast, agile, and stealthy enough to hit from unexpected angles, she'd read a few of his match summaries. He wasn't a big name in arena fighting, but not totally unknown. The only unusual bit about his build was the reliance on a cannon that looked like it had been ripped from a late-model field turret.

Now, of course, he looked a bit worse for wear compared to his typical showings. There were telltale seams where regeneration treatments hadn't quite healed off smaller cuts, and a large bandage over his side where a deeper one had been made. "Alright. Most of the factory seemed pretty normal. Standard welding setups, looks like they do some on-site refining too. Some stuff had been moved around recently, though, you could tell by the light spots on the floor. Most importantly, there was a basement level. I don't remember the last time I saw a blast door that heavy. We actually ended up just going through the concrete above it, if you remember hearing that." He nodded at Suvorov, who shifted slightly in what was probably supposed to be an affirmative.

"We didn't see any trace of live people, so if they were doing human experimentation, they cleaned up pretty well. Then, though," He shook his head. "I didn't think anyone was getting out of there alive. This. . . I don't really know if it was a robot or just some hyper-advanced augs, but whatever it was, it was fast. Once we got about halfway in, he or it or whatever flew out from the end of the main hall and basically shot a storm of blades at us. I swear some of them were going through walls, too." Suvorov frowned. Had she heard of this before? Something tugged at her, some conversation she'd overheard once. She tried to seize the thread of memory, but as soon as she tried, it faded entirely.

"It cut a few of us up pretty bad. Bardiche isn't in the meeting because he thought he could close on it, and it put him through a wall. Thought he was dead right there, but then Tomoe engaged him long enough for us to grab him and go." He glanced at a larger woman with olive skin but what looked like naturally blonde hair, who appeared to be nursing a broken arm.

"That's the long and short of it. Extraction was a bit hairy, but that thing didn't seem interested in actually leaving. We pulled a little data out of their network while we were in, but it's all encrypted and we've got no keys. I don't think we picked up any other tails on the way back, at least." He gestured at Hermes, who nodded. Tiger stood gingerly, evidently having taken more injuries than were initially visible, then made his way to a seat off to one side of the disused conference room the rebels had hijacked.

It left much to be desired in terms of accommodations. Normally, this wouldn't bother Suvorov unduly, but she was starting to miss the creature comforts that came with being a decorated veteran who happened to get a fat government pension for the arduous task of occasionally scowling at a rally instead of doing so at home. More importantly, however, was the lack of a damned chair. The first time they'd brought her in here (as part of a short brief on the staff at the base and to sort out who would be distributed to other hideouts) she'd sat down on one without thinking; the twisted remains of it were still in one corner of the room.

In the other corner was an increasingly unsettled-looking Nobunaga. The man looked like he would stake his life on a chance to be allowed to leave the room, shifting in his seat and practically vibrating with restlessness. "Nobunaga, my friend, it's my understanding that you have some knowledge of a similar project?" The blonde froze in place, each worried tic grinding to a halt.

"I have seen similar weaponry, yes," he replied stiffly. "This adversary is dangerous and a full explanation of their capacities would require an extensive technical brief. Tiger's information is reliable; Iota has a primary armament of bladelike weapons and an unusual ability to pass them through materials due to numerous factors around their construction and Laws. Do you require anything else, or may I take my leave?" Was he. . . angry? Suvorov wasn't certain the man was capable of it. By all accounts, he didn't get angry even in combat with the king's lapdog. Still need to ask him about that.