Untouched Snow

Quietness, darkness. Yuu woke up as something suddenly came to touch his face. He jumped up from the ground, drew his sword, and swung it in front of him, of where he expected his opponent to be. To his surprise, all he had sliced open was a mere leaf. He stared into the darkness of what he identified as a forest.

"Well, good thing Kimizuki didn't see that . . . nor anyone else, to be honest." Yuu laughed a little awkwardly. He turned around. No buildings, no street, only a forest. Though, there seemed to be a mansion not too far away. "Where am I?" Wasn't he at one of the JIDA's bases just a minute ago? And wasn't he with Shinoa? The last thing he remembered was the book glowing up. He only managed to come up with one half-way logical conclusion. "The vampires tricked us!!!" He shouted. "I can't believe it! Just wait and see you bastard-bloodsuckers!"

He stared at the mansion one more time. Usually, this would be the perfect place for a noble vampire to hide. So what if . . . ? Yuu didn't need to think twice. As soon as the thought had scraped his mind, he took a rocket start towards the fancy housing. Just about 20 meters in front of him, a black figure emerged from the woods. Assuming it was a vampire, Yuu attacked.

But the silhouette was no fool. A shining silver rod protected her from the soldier's deadly strike. She only managed to defend herself barely, though. "What are you doing?" She exclaimed in pure shock. A tiny bit confused, Yuu took a closer look at the girl in front of him. Well, she didn't exactly look like a vampire. The school uniform looks aside, he didn't think he had ever seen an ordinary person in such formal attire ever since the apocalypse. At least not in such a random place. Yuu lowered his weapon. "Are you . . . you are not a vampire?"

"A wha-" So the boy knew about the existence of vampires. "No, I'm not. Of course not." It was so weird. The boy must have attacked her because he believed her to be one of those nocturnal creatures. And this unbelievable aggression towards them was something she had only seen Zero doing before. So clearly, the boy had to be a hunter. Everything pointed to it and it was the only theory she had on his soldier uniform. Yet, he couldn't even distinguish a human from a vampire.

She didn't dare to let go of her weapon, Artemis, and instead held it tightly while placing its end on the ground with as much confidence as she had. The girl introduced herself. "My name is Yuki Cross. I am a human and a prefect of Cross Academy. Who are you? A vampire hunter?"

Yuu put his sword away. "A hunter? Well, I guess you could say that." A smug smile appeared on his face. "A rather good one, actually. I'm the best one in my entire squad." While Yuki did expect him to be a hunter, the confirmation still surprised her.

Yuki's face seemed to turn angry. "Well, then you should know that this campus is off limit for the Hunter's Association. The vampires here are good people. You have no right to hunt for them!" She pointed Artemis at the boy. "If I must, I will protect them just as I would protect any ordinary human students, you know."

"Is that a challenge?" Yuu responded. But this was not Yuki's intention. She knew she wouldn't win that fight, but the boy reached out for his weapon, once again, and she felt sweat running down her face. "No, wait! That's a misunderstanding. Really-" Just as the cocky boy reached out for his weapon, a familiar voice came up from behind him. "That's quite enough, Yuu!"