08

"marcus!" i screamed, the force becomes stronger. my vision fianlly opens up and i see. it was one of those killers, i push the mans arms back trying to stop a four inch knife from going through my skull. "get off of me!" i say louder, more in a panic with a life or death situation.

but the fighting finally stop, i see that blood splatters onto my face as my reflex causes me to tilt my chin. the scary man force becomes weak and he falls onto the ground as i get up, frighten; scooting my back against the wall, traumatized.

his face was deadly, pale lifeless skin and tiredness sick eyes bulging out. i see marcus drop the knife onto the ground before running over to check on me.

the thing with these killing machine, they weren't infectious like zombies. they were only out to kill then leaving you dead on the ground. they didn't eat brains like your stereotypical zombie.

kill. kill. kill. was the only thing on their minds.

the difference between me and that dead man on the floor next to me was the vaccine.
the unvaccinated and the vaccinated created a barrier.

"fate are you okay?" marcus says, getting on his knees to see if it was hurt, i nod. still in a haze with everything i've seen.

"i'm okay i think." i look up at him, he has terror on his face.

i hear timothée walking into the store, he runs a rag under the sink besides me, slowly wiping the blood off my face as marcus moves away. "listen it's alright." timothée says quietly. cleaning the blood off the strand of my hair as well, he tries to keep me calm by pretending the situation wasn't as bad as it was.

i snap out the numbness i was in, getting up slowly. "sorry." i shake my head. marcus intertwines his fingers into mines and i didn't let go, parts of me told me i needed to feel secure, so i kept my hands linked with marcus.

"don't be sorry." marcus says.

we get back onto the train as marcus sit besides me, i rest my head on his shoulders, closing my eyes. as he wraps one arm over me, feeling his thumb rub my shoulders back and forth in a soothing way.

my body sways a little by the train stopping but marcus holds onto me. "fate." marcus says, waking me up. "hey." he gives a faint smile.

"hi." i say quietly, walking off the train no longer next to marcus. i walk faster wanting to just be home and see libby and riley.

i hear something in timothée backpack, continuously making a shaking noise as we walked each step.

"what's in your backpack? sounds like rocks in a bag." i says.

he glared over at me before talking. "i got candy for riley." he mumbled, walking further away from me.

he didn't seem in the mood to talk to me, cutting the conversation short.

"libby!!" i scream, hugging her as we both fall onto her bed. "i missed you!" i kiss her on the forehead as if i didn't see her three hours ago.

"what's wrong?" she asked, with a concern look on her face.

"what—no nothing." i smiled. although a lot happened today, i wanted to forget about it and brush it away. emptying my mind from that, didn't need it lingering for any much longer.

"oh okay." she smiled, she seemed to be in a jolly mood, i was happy that she was happy.

"promise not to tell anyone." i take out my pinky waiting for her to intertwine it with hers.

she rolls her eyes "you already know, i promise."

"i think—i don't know. marcus, i think i like him." i say quietly. the feeling was unexpected, i don't seem to know why i had say it. like a sudden urge. i had an intense feeling in my heart for him and was conflicted on if i did or not.

libby eyes widen, like she had seem something scary. "but you hate him." she says.

i think for a moment, i do hate him. but what happened today, i felt like i couldn't keep the hate there any longer. "maybe i don't anymore..."

"he called you a whore, fate. in front of everyone." she says.

i couldn't defend his actions on that, i stay quiet. maybe this was a temporary feeling. but after he saved me, i've felt different towards him.