𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐒
"𝑇𝑖𝑚𝑒𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑑𝑖𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑠 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒 𝑠𝑜 𝑟𝑎𝑝𝑖𝑑𝑙𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑤𝑒 𝑚𝑢𝑠𝑡 𝑘𝑒𝑒𝑝 𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑎𝑖𝑚 𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑡𝑙𝑦 𝑓𝑜𝑐𝑢𝑠𝑒𝑑 𝑜𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑢𝑡𝑢𝑟𝑒."
—𝑊𝑎𝑙𝑡 𝐷𝑖𝑠𝑛𝑒𝑦

𝐈
— 𝑀𝑎𝑟𝑎 —

"𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒𝐋𝐘 taking Luther's side?!" Mara asked incredulously as she and Diego headed back inside of her room, folding her arms as she turned to face him.

Diego sighed as he gently closed the door, chewing on his lower lip as he turned towards her and raised his hands. "Mara, listen—"

"Why didn't you guys even tell me this was happening?!" she interrupted, her eyes flashing with anger as she stepped towards him and jabbed a finger into his chest. "I had to find out by myself!"

"Because we—we knew you'd react like this!" Diego retorted. "That's why we didn't tell you! Or Allison!"

"Allison." Mara's eyes widened as she realized, and she looked up towards where the infirmary would be. "I have to tell her."

Mara began to walk towards the door, but let out a groan as Diego wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her in to stop her.

"No! Let me go!" Mara pulled at his arm, gritting her teeth as his grip only strengthened. "Diego! She needs to know that her sister is locked up because of her maniac brothers!"

"Sorry, sunshine," he murmured, shaking his head as he brought himself and her to her bed and sat down, keeping her on his lap with his arms still around her. "I can't. She'll be just as angry, and she's already hurt enough. And Luther will kill you."

Mara stopped writhing in her spot, relaxing her muscles as she sighed. "So what? We're just going to leave her in the dark about this? She'll find out eventually, y'know, and she'll also be mad that you didn't tell her."

"And by then, we'll have figured out a way to contain Vanya," Diego said softly, his grip on her weakening as he realized that she had stopped fighting against it.

"Yeah, who? You, and Luther, and Klaus?" She gave a harsh laugh. "You guys aren't exactly the brains of the family."

"You're here, too," he pointed out.

She raised her eyebrows, an unamused expression on her face. "You seriously expect that I'm going to help?"

Diego shrugged. "Yeah."

She shook her head as she scoffed, "I'm not helping you guys."

"Mara."

"Diego," she started, then readjusting her position on his lap so that she was facing him. She felt his arms around her relax even further as she placed her hands on the sides of his face and leaned closer, his breath hitching slightly as her lips brushed against his. "Listen to me."

"I'm listening."

"You and Luther," she murmured against his lips, then sliding her arms around his neck as she shifted up his lap, "are stupid. Agreed?"

"What about Klaus?" he questioned, though Mara could tell he was growing weaker as his eyes fluttered and his voice wavered.

"Klaus only agreed because he had no choice," she pointed out, keeping her voice soft as she planted a gentle kiss on his lips. "Right, baby?"