Chapter One

A/N) Here is the promised new Octonauts story featuring pirates! I hope you enjoy!

"And then, just as the ferocious, hideous sea monster was about to gobble him up, sword and all..." Kwazii paused for dramatic effect as his audience gasped. "He flipped backwards and grabbed onto the vine, swinging backwards and away from the monster's jaws!"

Peso looked terrified, but that was nothing new when Kwazii was telling one of his stories. Dashi sat cross-legged on the floor listening intently, with Vegimals sat around her. The rest of the audience consisted of Shellington, Barnacles and Inkling sitting on chairs listening in.

Kwazii grinned, confident that he had his captivated listeners' full attention. "But the sea monster wasn't done yet. It rose up and snapped at Hector's ankles, barely missing him. Hector had to get away fast. But he was hanging in the air clinging onto a vine, while the sea monster prepared to leap up and eat him. He was trapped."

A Vegimal fainted. Kwazii grinned wider. "But he was a pirate, me hearties. Pirates never give up. And pirates don't always sail alone."

"What happened next?" Peso burst out.

The cat threw out his arms dramatically, nearly hitting the approaching Tweak in the face, who was standing right behind him. Kwazii winced. "Oops. Sorry Tweak."

The rabbit smiled. "S'okay, Kwaz. I just wanted to let y'all know that the Octopod is fixed and back at full power."

Smiles erupted on everyones' faces. Kwazii whooped and ran in a little circle, chasing his own tail. Barnacles stood up, stretching out his arms. "That's good to hear, Tweak. Thank you."

"Does that mean we can get going again?" Shellington questioned.

"Yup," answered Tweak with a smile.

Dashi leapt to her feet, disturbing the huddled group of Vegimals around her. "I'll start the launch system, Captain."

Only Peso stayed sitting as the Vegimals scuttled off. "Kwazii, what happened next? What happened to Hector? You said a pirate doesn't always travel alone."

Kwazii smiled at his younger friend. "I'll finish the story later, matey. I promise. I need to go get my spyglass from my room."

"Ok," Peso agreed, slightly disappointed as Kwazii ran off, flipping down the Octo Chute with another loud whoop.

                                                                                                 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Creaks accompanied the large ship as it sailed slowly along the surface of the water. The sail had holes in and looked liable to rip at any second. The wooden exterior of the ship looked old and worn. If anyone was there to listen closely, you may be able to hear singing and low voices beneath the deck. A thin battered flag waved half-heartedly on the flagpole.  It was emblazoned with a skull and cross-bones - the symbol of the pirate.