CHAPTER 01 - Accents

(photo of Daniel "Dan" Castellon)

A grandson of a Spanish duke daw. Anak daw ng consul of Spain in the Philippines.
A druglord's son daw. A f*cking rich businessman's child said another.

Hindi pa natatapos ang araw, sandamakmak na chismis na ang pinagpasapasahan tungkol sa iyo. Not only the Senior High students were talking about you. By lunch break, kahit Junior High at College students, sumisilip na sa SHS section ng cafeteria just to get a glimpse of the "new kid".

"Psh. Give them a week. Magsasawa rin yang mga taong yan." sabi ni Kai bago sumubo ng kwek kwek. Agad din naman niyang niluwa. "Gago, ang init pa."

At the far corner of the cafeteria, you were sitting alone-- cheeseburger and a can of coke in hand.

"Putcha," I whispered to myself after looking away. May sixth sense ka ba? How were you able to know I was looking?

When I tried to steal another glance, a swarm of girls were already bothering you.

"Dude, Ms. Casiano wants you to drop by her office pala after lunch." Sumubo naman si Kai ng kanin.

"Kwek kwek at kanin? Ang yaman-yaman mo, bakit di ka bumili ng matinong ulam?" If there's a perfect word to describe Kaiser Tan, bagay na bagay ang 'kuripot'.

"Dannyboy, ang ulam mo ay ulam ko rin." Hinampas ko agad ang balikat nya even before he could take a part of my adobo. "Adobo lang pala sukatan ng pagkakaibigan natin ah. Gago to," he pouted.

"Fine. Wag yung malaking parte ng manok ah." I lifted my head a bit to check where you were going, kaso mukhang nakalabas ka na. Your burger and coke were still on your table.

"I'll go to Ms. Casiano na muna." I immediately stood up.

"Dude, what about your lunch?" When I said 'sayo na', halos maging guhit na lang ang chinitong mga mata ni Kai. Buraot talaga.

Wala ka sa labas ng cafeteria. Wala sa hallway. What in the hell was happening to me? Why was I looking for you in the first place?

I was about to walk past the men's toilet nang biglang may humila sa kamay ko.

It was you.

"Are you following me?" It was the first time I heard your voice. A deep baritone with the warmest European accent.

"What? Loko ka ba? I'm not following you!" I tried to pull back my hand pero mahigpit ang paghawak mo.

I felt smaller in front of you. Kinailangan mo pang tumungo para lang tingnan ako sa mga mata.

Fuck. You were too close that I could smell your musky and woody scent. Kung hindi ko napigil ang sarili ko, I could've ripped off your school uniform just to sniff your perfume some more.

"Loco? No soy loco. I saw you earlier. Looking," bulong mo. The infliction of your voice. The raspy rolling of the Rs. Tumindig ang mga balahibo ko.

"You like me, don't you?"