Life Then

Tw: Death, dinosaurs

    The universe is very old. Older than any of us here on this planet. Probably older than anyone else who could possibly be out there. However in this particular story it's not older than one man…. Virgil has always existed. He spent so many years of his life floating around in space, with nothing but quarks to keep him company. Floating around just watching whatever he floats by. Watching and floating. Watching and floating. He's very lonely, he knows he's the only creature there. Billions upon billions of years later however there's a world with life. A world to keep him company.

     Virgil slowly drifted closer to the planet, it's very blue, he wondered why. Most other plants he'd seen this close to a star had brown or red. Eventually he got close enough to the planet that he- He was falling, it scared Virgil, he'd never been so close to a planet that it did that. Of course he couldn't get hurt so it'd be fine, but it was still terrifying to experience. How would he get back up into space? Could he even get back up? Virgil didn't think he could. He just kept falling and falling until- SPLASH!

     Virgil landed on, no in, something very blue. It must have been what made the planet look so blue from space. He tried to pick some of it up with his hands but it spilled right through his fingers. He noticed he was sinking in the blue stuff and went under. The first thing he noticed when he was fully submerged in the blue was the creatures. They were very different from him… They had a really weird smooth texture.

     "Who are you?" Virgil asked. The creatures didn't respond. They weren't even talking amongst themselves.

   "I guess they can't speak," Virgil thought, "oh well, this is still better than being all alone." Virgil decided he wanted to try to get back to the surface. After all, the creatures were able to move up and down in the blue stuff, Virgil should be able to as well. He moved his arms and legs up and down, up and down. At first doing this only moved him back and forth a little bit, but eventually he got the pattern just right and was able to move back up to the surface of the blue.

     In the distance he could see what looked to be what he saw on other planets, land, he pushed through the blue and onto the land.

     ~Many Years Later~

   Virgil sat next to a small dinosaur. After a few years of living on this planet he'd finally named everything there was here. Of course the land kept changing and the animals were very different from when he'd first arrived, but it was much easier to name everything after he originally named things. During his time here he also noticed that these animals could die. So Virgil made a list of what they needed to survive.

Food. Some eat plants and some eat other animals.
Water. But not the salty kind.
Air. Or they die with air. There's no in between.
Protection from predators. They don't want to be eaten.

     Virgil wanted so badly to help all of the animals, none of them deserved to die! However that's just how it worked on Earth apparently. Either one dies or the other dies.

     Virgil was startled out of his thoughts by a blinding followed by a loud noise. It was bright and hot, so so hot. He could hear the screams as the animals died. Then finally it went silent. The blinding light disappeared. He looked around to see that the creatures he once called his friends, the dinosaurs, were all dead. Virgil felt the first tear slip from his face, these creatures, although they couldn't talk to him, they were the only things keeping him company.

     Virgil felt a creature bump against his leg. Well, maybe not all of his friends were gone. There were still other animals, even so, his heart ached at the loss of so many creatures.

~Even More Years Later~

     Everything was ice. The world had gotten a lot colder since Virgil had first arrived on Earth. Some animals had fur now though. Virgil had grown used to this, watching animals come and go, watching as species disappeared completely, watching new species appear, watching the animals adapt to the world as it changed, always watching.

     He watched as the ice all melted, watched as the animals that came with the frozen world died off one by one, he watched as new animals came, one's better suited for warmth, he watched as the world got warmer again.

     Then he saw an animal, he always sees animals, but this one was different somehow. He wasn't sure what exactly made him so drawn to the creature, he just knew he had to keep watching it. It looked kinda like him in the way it was built except it was bigger and had fur. He eventually watched as the creature grabbed something with it's hand. He watched it stand up and walk. It was kinda like him.

     Virgil had been watching the creature for years, watching as it slowly started to do things that Virgil could do, watching as the creature slowly, ever so slowly, started to look like him. It walked like him. It sounded like him. It was one of his own kind! Well sort of, the other creatures could die, but that's besides the point! He could communicate with them, he could have real friends now.

     He helped the other creatures, humans they named themselves, find food to eat. They looked around for plants so they didn't starve, they learned the hard way which plants were safe to eat. Sure it was hard helping them survive for the short time they were alive, and it was sad that anyone he got close to died, but he could talk to them! He found creatures similar to him! He could spend time with them!

He could do something besides watching.

A/N: Hey! It's been a while I know, but I finally have an actual plan for this story so I should be able to update a lot. Word count: 1013