CHAPTER EIGHT | How To Write Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy

Start from the beginning

Although xianxia, wuxia, and xuanhuan are typically classified as Chinese Fantasy, it is possible for it to appear in other regions. For example, Japan has the way of the warrior (Bushidō) for samurai instead of China's code of xia. You can always get creative with it!

Something we missed? Check out this for more info on Chinese Fantasy!

Romantic Fantasy

Romantic Fantasy is a common form in Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy. Romance is the main focus in the story, but the setting is either purely fantastical or scifi. There are several commonly used tropes within this genre:

Reincarnation / Rebirth: Couples may experience misfortune in a past lifetime, but meet again for the final test of the strength of their love in a later lifetime (usually modern times).

Transmigration / Isekai: Couples may be separated from different time periods as the female character time travels from the present to the past or to a completely different world with different rules and regulations. It's uncommon for characters to time travel to a future time period, but that doesn't mean you can't explore it! The female character either becomes a different person or remains the same, but possesses some unique skill that no one else can explain or obtain.

Amnesia: A love interest may lose their memory, so it's up to the other character to restore it. It's possible that the main character may meet someone new and spark up a love triangle!

Harem / Reverse Harem: The main character may be surrounded by a group of men or women vying for their love.

Rich Love Interest / Poor Protagonist: The main character may be poor in the beginning and experience nothing but hardships until they meet the love interest who comes to free them from their situation. These love interests typically take on the form of a billionaire CEO, a person of royalty, or a notorious gang leader.

Revenge: The main character has been killed off in the most brutal way or betrayed and humiliated by their first love. They usually return a few years in the past to prevent the horrible events from happening the same way. Or, they encounter a new love interest who is willing to help her exact her revenge and reclaim her position in society. Characters are usually strong-willed women with martial arts background and high intelligence or a weak-looking woman who learns to stand up for herself. You may see some redemption arcs where rivals or enemies become lovers due to divine intervention in the characters' fates, or the appearance of another male lead.

Historical Fantasy

Historical Fantasy is another common form in Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy. API Historical Fantasies typically revolve around a protagonist who is destined to either end a conflict or cause a conflict. These novels take inspiration from historical events or may involve real figures from history.

Supernatural / Paranormal / Horror

This form of Asian & Pacific Islander Fantasy explores the land of the dead and/or may revolve around a protagonist with supernatural qualities or abilities (i.e., vampires, werewolves, demons, fox spirits, ghosts, etc.). For a list of creatures from Asian & Pacific Islander folklore, check out this Anthology (linked as an in-line comment here).

A common element in paranormal fantasy include Youkai / Yaoguai which are demons. They may be malicious for the sake of being evil or they might seek something the main character has (divinity/immortality/greater power, an artifact, etc.). Every culture has their own interpretation of demons, so it's up to you to determine which path you decide to go on.