Chapter 2

"Nikki?" I felt someone lightly shake my shoulder. 

I slightly lifted my hat from over my eyes and saw Peter in front of me.

"We're here." He said.

I stretched my arms and legs and put my hat on backward like I had it before. 

"Already?" I asked, starting to feel my stomach twist with anxiety.

We grabbed our bags and were led up into the large building. We passed everyone in the meeting room, and I couldn't believe how close I was to everyone. I could talk to the Avengers. Watch them train, hear their strategies, learn from their experiences. All on such a personal level. That is if I could talk to them. We kept walking up to the bedrooms we would be staying in, which were across the hall from each other, and we tossed our bags on the bed. I plopped back onto the bed and sighed. Peter came in and slid my bags to sit beside me.

"Nervous?" he asked.

I laughed. "Anxious as all hell."

"There's no need to be, they're more chill than they seem to be." He smiled at me, trying to comfort me.

I appreciated the effort, but we both knew it wouldn't help much. We went back down to the meeting room where they had just finished discussing what they would do about Loki if he were to attack. Right now he was just being spotted sometimes, but not long enough to do anything about it. He could be sticking around more than we know because he can shapeshift. Thor should know that, but I'm not sure if it was brought up. Captain America (known as Cap to most of us) noticed me and Peter first.

"Hey kid," he said, walking over to me and Peter. "Who's this?" He asked, smiling.

"Just a friend," Peter said, looking over at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him and he laughed. "Oh, only my amazing, genius, talented, best friend forever!" 

I bumped him with my shoulder, and everyone laughed at his smart remark. Cap looked down at me and asked my name. I  looked at Peter, and he answered for me. 

"This is Nikki. She's living with me and Aunt May and wanted to tag along."

"And the 'genius' comment isn't far off." Mr. Stark added. 

I shook my head and looked down. That's a little far-fetched. I'll admit I'm a little smart and get good grades, but I don't think I'm a genius. 

The others talked where we couldn't hear, and Mr. Stark looked at Cap and made a small gesture towards us. Cap nodded and looked back at us. 

"Hey, why don't we go to the pizza place down the street." He said.

"That sounds great!" Peter looked at me, "You'll love it. There's an arcade, too." 

I smiled and nodded as we went back up to the rooms we were staying in to get ready. I grabbed my phone from my duffle bag and changed from my warm hoodie into a tank top and flannel shirt. Peter came in as I was fixing the laces on my boots and sat beside me. 

"They're gonna think you can't talk."

"Yeah, I know," I said. "You know I can't help it, though."

"I know, I just hope you get comfortable soon. They're all really great." 

I put my phone in my back pocket and put my hat backward on my head. 

"Ready?" Peter asked.

I nodded and we headed outside to where Cap was waiting for us by his car. I sat in the backseat and Peter sat beside me. I raised an eyebrow and looked at him.

"I know I could sit in the front, but I wanted to sit with you," he said. 

I smiled. He is really considerate, and he's trying to make me as comfortable as possible. 

Cap tilted the rearview mirror down a little to be able to see us. 

"You don't talk much, do you?" He asked, looking at me.

I shook my head and smiled awkwardly. 

"Ah, that's okay. You seem like a good kid."

I have to admit, Captain America calling you a good kid feels freaking amazing. It wasn't too long of a ride to get there, maybe ten minutes. When we got there I could smell the pizza from outside, and no joke, it was the best smell in the world. We went in and while Cap was ordering the pizza, Peter took me to the arcade in the back. There were claw machines, pinball machines, and some random arcade games like Skee Ball. I went around looking at the plushies in all of the claw machines. 

"This place does look fun," I said to Peter.

"I know, right?" He said. "Won't be much fun without quarters though."

I just looked at him. 

"I brought them, I just left them in the car!" he said defensively. 

I facepalmed and laughed at him. "Go get them."

"You wanna come?" he asked before walking back out.

"Nah, I think I can stay here. I'll be okay."

"Okay," he said. "I'll be as quick as I can."

He walked out and I walked around more, looking at the claw machines. That's when I saw something move from the corner of my eye. I looked up at a dark corner of the arcade and saw a tall man standing in the corner. I saw him for a split second before he was gone again. That was weird. I went back to looking around and tried to ignore what had happened. After another minute, I saw him again. Closer this time. He was standing between me and the door. I stepped back against the claw machine as he walked towards me. Is this him? I hadn't seen him this close before, only a quick second on the news once. I looked around, trying to figure out what to do. That's when Peter, my honest to God guardian angel, finally came back.

"Hey, sorry it took- what the hell," he said, just as the man disappeared again.

He grabbed my arm and ran out of the arcade, dragging me behind him. 

"Hey, hey. What's going on?" Cap asked when he saw us run out. 

"He's here," Peter said softly, so no one could hear but me and Cap. "And he was after Nikki." 

Authors Note

I got the second chapter finished sooner than I thought! I started writing and it all just came back to me. It's fun rewriting your old ideas, with more skill than you had three years ago xD I hope you're all enjoying it! I can't wait to keep writing!