Chapter 1

I'm 16 now.  

I've changed my name.  I now go by Elsie Swan, a normal woman living in this huge city in the Andromeda Republic.  This city is called Whirlpool.  It's one of the most famous cities in the whole world.  

"Elsie, dear!  Make this nice boy a pancake, will you?" my boss says.  I'm a cook here, because apparently magical food is delicious.  

"Yes, Hannah!" I reply, preparing a pancake.  

Oh, sorry, forgot to mention that not very many people have magic.  It's common in royals and richer families, but some people with less money are gifted with it as well, though very few.  Hannah just assumed that I was one of those few.  

As I prepare the pancake, I can't help but look at the customer.  

I had changed my appearance a long time ago, using magic to alter it.  I had changed my hair so that it was a buttery brown, instead of it's normal gold, and changed my eyes and general features as well.  

The customer, I realize, I know.  I know because I had created the disguise.  

I serve the plate to him.  

"What are you doing here, Gregory?" I demand.  It's Jonah.  We had made ourselves look older, and moved into an apartment together, more out of lack of money than anything.  

"I wanted to see you at work, dear," he said.  He always called me "dear" now, even when we weren't around other people.  He said it was because he didn't think Elsie matched my personality very much.  

"Gregory, sweetie, I'm at work!" I say, trying to hide the smirk from my face.  

"Well, I had something to tell you!" he said, a smile on his face.  I silently wonder what it is.  

"Hold up, I should take my break so that we can talk," I say.  

"Hannah, I'm taking my lunch break!" I yell to her.  

"Okay, but you better eat, Elsie!  I know you can't last a whole day without a proper lunch!" she replies.  

"I'll eat, Hannah!  Don't you worry!" I reassure her.  

I sit down next to Jonah, watching as the other chef, Lilah, struggles with cooking.  I send a little magic her way, and she looks up at me gratefully.  

"So did you get her?" I ask hopefully.  

"Yep!  The papers are official!  She's going to be our daughter!  Little Kyra!  It's amazing!"  he says excitedly.  I can't hide the huge smile from my face.  

"Hannah, can I take off the rest of the day?  I'm going to get to pick up my daughter, who I have officially adopted," I say.  She smiles.  

"Of course, Elsie!  Go ahead!" she says, joy shimmering in her eyes.  She was happy for me, and I was so glad about everything.  

"Thank you so much, Hannah!" I say, grabbing my coat as we leave.  

We walk outside, making sure our clothes are clean and double checking everything before we arrived.  

As we entered, I heard the sound of a baby crying and a nurse making gentle, calming sounds.  

"Hello, I'm Elsie Swan and this is my husband, Gregory Swan.  We're here to adopt Kyra," I say to the receptionist, who looks angry at something.  

"Of course.  I'll call a nurse to get her for you," she says to me.  I nod my head nervously, and we sit down in the waiting room, our impatience growing by the second.