Rain

(Picture above is you)

I laid awake in my small apartment. I listened to the rain drops fall against the window panes. I hated the nights I couldn't fall asleep.

I turned my head against my pillow to look at the glowing red numbers of my clock. "3:43." I whispered and sighed to myself. I had a job to get to the next morning and here I am starring at my ceiling and listening to the drumming of the rain. I haven't once closed my eyes to sleep. I turned to my side to face the wall, away from the window. I watched as shadows were casted against the blank wall from the cars passing by outside. I wondered who would be driving around at this time but I frowned realizing I too was awake at this ungodly hour. I turned back to lay on my back and rested my hands on my stomach. I felt my breathing steady and I heard the rain drops dial down to a slow drizzle. I sighed again.

I turned to look at my clock again. "3:58?" I questioned. "Wow, I must have been caught up in my thoughts again." I think to myself. I kick off the blankets and sit at the edge of my bed. I run a hand through my long black hair. I push myself to a standing position and slowly shuffle my feet against the cold wood floors in my room, all the way to my door. I open it and step out into the hallway continuing my path to the kitchen where I prepare peppermint tea. I don't bother turning on any of the lights, I've gotten pretty good at navigating my way from the moonlight and street lights pouring into my windows.

I lean against the counter as I wait for the water to boil. I hear the gurgling and bubbling of the water and I make my way to the cup broad for a mug. Once the water is ready I tip the pot of water to pour it into my dark blue mug and place it back on the stove. I tear open the package of the tea bag and dip it repeatedly in the water as I walk to my table in the kitchen. I slowly sip from the cup as I watch the rain slowly come to a stop, the only thing that is left is the rain drops on the window that were left behind. I took another sip from my tea. I sighed. I allowed my thoughts to roam free again and to which they roamed to how my day was going to go. I was planning to go to work, then my second job on the side, come home, finish the book I was reading and maybe watch a movie well I'll eat my fast food yet again. I look over at the counter that still had Chinese rice boxes on it. I took another sip of tea.

I finished my tea and placed the cup in the sink. I threw away the rice box and walked back to my room. I turned on the lamp on my night stand and squinted a bit waiting for my eyes to adjust. I walked to my closest and pulled out my clothes for the day. I wore a black long sleeve shirt and regular blue skinny jeans. I laced up my black and white high top converse and went to my mirror to brush my hair. After than I brushed my teeth and applied make up.

I checked the clock again. 5:00. I frowned. I didn't have to be at work until 6:30. I was opening the small candy store just across from a park. "I'll walk slow." I mumbled and turned off the light in my room. I stumbled a bit as my eyes adjusted to the dark once again. I approached my front door and grabbed the keys. I stepped out into the damp world as the fresh air hit me. I closed the door and locked it. I turned to walk down the steps as I shoved the keys in my back pocket. I stepped onto the side walk and headed towards my work. I hummed a bit.

After a well the dark store was in my view. I checked the time on my phone. 5:20. "Damn." I thought to myself. I walked closer until I stood at the door. I reached for the keys and slide them into the key hole to open it. I pushed opened the door and switched on the light as the room was illuminated. I closed and locked the door behind me and left the sign on "sorry, we're closed." Side. I walked lazily behind the counter and sat at on the wooden stool. I opened a bag of cherry fun dip and started eating it. Don't worry, I buy candy from the store and save it in the drawer. Time passed and I watched as the sky turned light blue and the sun peeked over the mountains. The park across the street always looked pretty around this time. I sat with the stick of the fun dip in my mouth. Suddenly a frantic knock at the glass door made me jump. I turned quickly to see who it was. "Matsuda?" I question as I see him pressed up against the window. I haven't seen him since last year. "What are you-" I was cut off by him knocking on the glass again. "Open the door." He said. I looked at the clock, 6:00. "Can't, I don't open until 6:30." I teased. Even though he was my older brothers best friend I teased with him as if he was my second brother. "I have to talk to you." He said giving me a worried look. My smile dropped and I walked over to the door. I opened it and Matsuda bursts through. "What is it?" I asked concerned. "Ikuto...he's...." Matsuda trailed off. "He's what?" I asked worried. "Maybe you should sit down." Matsuda said. "Matsuda tell me what happened!" I shouted frantically. Matsuda looked down. "He uh...he had a heart attack." Matsuda said. My heart sped up. "Is he alright? Which hospital is he at!" I shouted frantically again. Matsuda gripped my shoulders and looked down at me with an apologetic look. "No...no!" I said feeling my knees weaken. "Y/n...I'm sorry." Matsuda hugged me. I hugged back and cried into his shoulder. He awkwardly patted my head. I pulled away to look at him. "Was it kira?" I asked through my teeth. Matsuda rubbed the back of his neck nervously and looked away from me. "Was it kira?" I repeated. Matsuda only nodded. I cried some more.