xxv.

xxv.
16th July 1922
~

Rose stood in Tommy's bathroom having just emerged from the bath. Given that they had at least an hour before they would need to set off, she had decided to bathe to scrub off the sex and anger she felt clinging to her skin.

She stood before the mirror with just a towel wrapped around her frame, working another through her damp hair. Her head spun as she heard the creaking of the door to the master suite.

"Mary?" She called out, expecting it to be the maid returning with the tea she had requested.

Her shoulders relaxed slightly as Mr Shelby emerged in the doorway to the bathroom, looking guilty. His jaw visibly clenched as he saw the state Rose was in, his eyes fixated on the piece of fabric preventing him from seeing her bare flesh.

He had entered the room with the intent of making things right, although now his mind had drifted to other, darker things.

"What do you want, Tommy?" Rose rolled her eyes, returning to drying her hair.

"I - erm - I came to apologise again." He explained, shaking his head to try and remove the impure thoughts invading his brain. He turned around to face the wall as an added barrier. "I was out of order saying those things to you, I'm sorry."

"It's fine, you've made it clear how you feel." She knew she was being stubborn but he had upset her on her birthday and so she felt he deserved a hard time.

Seeing how awkward he had been around her, she quickly dressed in her underwear and the slip she wore under her dress before turning  her attention back to her hair.

"That's not how I feel though. I was just angry, I shouldn't have snapped at you."

"You can turn around." She told him, hating talking to the back of his head.

Doing as he was told for once in his life, he turned back to see an equally as inviting sight as the one he had turned away from. While more of her body was technically covered, he found this far more tempting. His eyes followed the edge of the slip as she bent over slightly to look in the mirror. As it crept up her thighs, he saw faint circles of bruises from where he had gripped her too tightly the night before. Part of him felt guilty but also this was his mark on her, a lasting physical reminder of the way they made each other feel.

"Tommy?" She questioned, snapping him back into the room. He hadn't even noticed that she had been speaking to him.

"Sorry, what did you say?" His eyes quickly snapped up her body to rest on her face, visibly confused with a raised eyebrow.

"I asked if that was all, I need to get ready." Rose watched as the man moved further into the room, coming to stand only a foot away from her.

"I just need to know you forgive me." Reaching up, he brushed the backs of his fingers down the side of her face, bringing his hand to rest under her chin so that she couldn't take her gaze away from him like she always did when she was annoyed or nervous.