Chapter Eleven - Glenn Sturgis - Chapter Eleven

MONDAY

The break room was a mess. Actually, everything regarding the employees and not their customers was, generally, run down and outdated. If it wasn't directly for customer use, corporate didn't care even if they claim to be a "big family" here at the Cloud 9 franchise. It started, during their morning, when everyone put their things in the lockers and Mateo complained about the lack of space to hang coats, "Ugh, can we, like, get some coat hooks or something?"

"Well, before we do that, can we fix this drip?" Amy pointed at the ceiling, "Or, like, at least get a new bucket?"

"Oh, I would love to fix that, but, no, corporate only gave us $15 for Break Room repairs, and we blew through that on the bat traps." Glenn said.

"Speaking of corporate, this memo just came through. "This time of year, many of us suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. Look out for the following symptoms of depression"." Dina read.

"Pfft! Who would get depressed here?" Glenn asked.

"Listlessness." Dina read off.

"Come on."

"Irritability."

"You wish."

"General discontent."

"No way."

"Apathy."

"Give me a break."

""Above all, remember Cloud 9 cares. This memo clears parent company of any liability for employee suicide.""

"Hmm, Cloud 9 really does care." Once again, Garrett was sarcastic.

"Well, they did send a letter." Dina nodded.

"Dina pratically named off half the people working here," Genevieve shut her locker, "I feel like that, most of the time, even when it has nothing to do with the holidays."

"Maybe cleaning out the lost and found will cheer you up," Garrett told her, "Let's go to the stock room everybody. I hope I get something useful this year."

The coworkers huddled in the stock room as they took turns closing their eyes and grabbing an unclaimed item they found laying around the store. Dina complained, impatient, "All right, tick-tock, come on."

"I think I saw a stuffed giraffe in here, and Harmonica loves giraffes, so, uh, ooh!" Cheyenne pulled her hand out, Jonah exclaimed, "And it's a wig!"

"Ooh, I can't give this to her. She'll think I'm slamming her for being bald." The young mom frowned.

"Oh, oh, it's a VHS copy of "Murder, She Wrote," seasons three, episodes seven through nine." Garrett looked at his prize.

"Oh, God. Cargo shorts?" Mateo looked offended.

"A journal. All right, what do we got here? A lot of boobs."

"Oh, look at this. There's a squeaker in it, too. How cute is that? Ahh, there it is. My birds love these."

"Come on down, Genevieve." Amy clapped and ushered her forward. Genevieve closed her eyes and rummaged through the bin before pulling something out, "Really? A ripped open pack of Halo tube socks?"