Mr. Faber's Help

Nancy pursed her lips, she wasn't quite sure though. She had taken a quick look at the photo, but the two looked so similar that it was eerie. Especially seeing the same photo, or at least what looked like the same photo on the same day. What was going on? Her eyes began to brighten with curiosity. Perhaps she might get her third mystery after all, and she might be able to work on Richard's with the help of her grandparents! Provided Mrs. Matthews gave her consent.

Nancy took a quick glance around the store. Her friends were still perusing the shelves and it looked like there was someone moving around in the back, probably Mr. Faber himself. She glanced back at the wallet. The Albany driver's license advertised the name Francis Baum with the picture of a blonde, blue-eyed, twenty-three year-old man. In fact, he looked like he could be the older version of the boy in the picture, but something seemed off to Nancy, something in the back of her mind was nagging at her, and she couldn't quite place her finger on it. And that irritated her. But she gave it no more thought, she had to find the man! She turned and rushed out the door.

"Please don't be gone yet, please don't be gone yet," she whispered. There was another vehicle parked in the parking lot. She dashed towards it. The man was sitting in the front, on his phone. She tapped on the window. He glanced up, and was surprised at seeing her.

He rolled down his window. "Can I help you?"

Nancy held up his wallet. "I believe this is yours."

He blinked before checking his back pocket. "Oh, oh, why, it is!" He shot her a smile, she thought it looked kind of forced as he reached out and took the wallet from her. "Thank you so much for finding it, Miss . . .?"

Nancy smiled. "Nancy Drew."

He held out his hand. "Nice to meet you, Nancy. I'm Francis Baum. And really, I do appreciate it. Couldn't exactly go far without my cards, huh?"

Nancy chuckled softly. "No, I guess not."

"Speaking of cards, here's mine," he said, pulling out a card and handing it to her. "I run an art studio and employ several artists, one of whom I'm heading to Chicago to meet at the airport in a bit. My girlfriend in fact. If you're looking for art, call me. We both have portfolios we could show you, or even give you art lessons, if you'd like."

"Why, why thank you! I just might! I'm looking for a present for my father, but I haven't exactly found the right one just yet. That's why I'm here, in fact, to see if I can find him something."

Francis arched an eyebrow. "Cutting it a little close, huh?"

Nancy chuckled nervously. "We've both been so busy it snuck up on me this year."

Francis chuckled. "Fair point. Well, if you don't find anything, or if you still want to take a look at artwork for his birthday or a Christmas present down the road, definitely call me! I won't be able to see you later today because, like I just mentioned, I'm heading into Chicago to pick up my girlfriend, but I can squeeze you in tomorrow if you don't find anything today."

"Oh, thank you so much! I certainly hope I won't have to, but I'll be calling, just the same. I know my father is looking for some art to go into his office."

Francis beamed. "Excellent! Well then, maybe I should come on by tomorrow anyways!"

"If you don't mind! I will have to let my father and our housekeeper know, but I think they wouldn't mind having you over for dinner."

"Oh, I wouldn't want to impose ..."

Nancy waved her hand. "Oh nonsense, Hannah enjoys fussing over new people. It will be just us, the chief of police, and his mother, a couple more is no big deal."