Chapter 2.5

Archangel's POV

It's always the same. Kill, pray. Watch them jump, pray. Search for my god's candidate, find nothing. On to the next building. Repeat.

It's my life, my reason to live. I need nothing else, so why?

Why do I collect these trinkets, this useless junk? My mask does not command me to, nor does it command me to stop doing so. Maybe it's to grasp and hold onto the part of me before my mask. Whoever, or whatever that was.

Maybe that's why I collect useless things. For my useless part to stay, to remind me that it still lurks in the dark corners of my mind.

Why it does this, I have no idea. I don't remember. I have no need to remember, as my mask has told me and so it must be true.

My mask says I was something filled with sin and corruption. My mask saved me from who I was before. It made me who I am. Purifying the sin and expelling the corruption of my being, transforming me into an archangel. I follow my commands and nothing more. So why?

Why can't I deny the urge to take this ugly toy? It's hideous. So hideous in fact, my mask even agrees with me.

It's a bamboo shoot Kobito Dukan. No memories of how I know the ugly toy's name came to me. But for some reason, I know that's what it's called.

I picked it up by its arm with two of my fingers. As I looked at it, I shiver in disgust. Why is it so ugly, why can't I seem to leave it?

I grab it firmly and took off my backpack. The Kobito Dukan is made of squeezable foam and has a metal chain hooked to it. So I unhooked the chain and put it on my backpack.

There isn't a lot of things lying around in this world. But occasionally, if you look hard enough, there are a few small things hidden here and there.

A lot of the items I find are from humans who have been killed by either me or other angels.

This, Kobito Dukan for instance, was on the phone of a deceased female, a high schooler from the uniform she is wearing.

She seemed to have been bludgeoned to death, as her head and face were bloody and caved in. How unsightly, too messy for my taste.

After I politely rearranged her body to a more formal position, (she's laying flat on her back with her hands on her stomach) I found her backpack and took out a spare shirt, and placed it over her head. Then I sat on my knees and prayed for her.

After that, that's when I found the ugly toy. I dumped the contents of her bag onto the ground looking for supplies. I know I don't need them, as one of the emotionless angels always brings me weekly supplies. But, that's the problem, I can't seem to stop collecting little trinkets. And it's pissing me off not knowing why.

As I feel my anger rising to the point I start to shake, a shock is sent through my mind and body. Numbing my mind, making my thoughts stop for a second. What was I thinking about? I was angry... why was I angry again?

I looked at the deceased girl, then at the contents in front of me. Oh well, must not be important.

I pick up my backpack and put it back on. Then stand up and walk to the next building. Leaving the deceased girl and her things on the ground behind me.

Nothing else is important, nothing but my commands.

In sync, I thought of my commands as my mask said them allowed.

I/You must inflict despair on humans. Make them lose hope and commit suicide. I/You must kill those who refuse to jump. And most importantly, I/you must find my/your god's candidate and protect them at all costs.

~To Be Continued~

______________________________________

Ok, some of you might not know what a Kobito Dukan is so I'll fill you in.

Kobito Dukan themselves was created by Toshitaka Nabata in his children's picture book, Kobitodukan. They are very popular in Japanese. And let me just say, they are some seriously ugly little bastards.

The one I'm referring to in the story is probably one of the least ugliest ones in my opinion.

These are a few Kobito Dukan below. The one I am talking about is number 2.

Have fun remembering these things in your nightmares!