"Well, I'm on my way to a meeting, so I-"

"It won't take but a minute of your time," he compelled her.

Her smile returned. "Of course. Anything you need."

"Well, first things first," he said in the foyer. "I'm going to need a change of clothing."

"We can try one of my husband's suits. I haven't boxed them up yet."

Watching he walk up the stairs, Abigail asked, "How did you know she's not on vervain?"

"Because I'm the one who got her off it," he revealed. "Right before you and your friends killed me. Twice."

What he told them when he made it back down to the first floor of the house was shocking. Klaus was his brother. In fact, there was a whole family of Originals, and from them, all vampires were created.

"Our origin as vampires is a very long story. Just know we're the oldest vampires in the world." He stood up, buttoning his suit jacket. "I need some air. I'm still feeling a tad... dead."

As they walked the expansive grounds, he explained that nothing but the wood from one tree could kill an Original. A tree that they made sure burned.

Abigail connected the dots from the story John told her, "And that's where the white ash for the dagger comes from."

"Yes." He clasped his hands behind his back. "The witches won't allow anything truly immortal to walk the earth. Every creature needs to have a weakness in order to maintain the balance."

The crease between Elena's brows deepened. "Why is Klaus so obsessed with breaking the curse?"

"The Sun and the Moon Curse." He smiled. "It's all so biblical-sounding, don't you think?"

Abigail crossed her arms over her chest. "What's so funny?"

"Well, the curse of the sun and the moon..." He stopped in his tracks, waiting for them to face him before announcing, "Is fake."

"So, what?" She laughed, throwing her arms into the air. "Klaus drew the Aztec sketches?"

"Roman scrolls, African tribal etchings, any other culture or continent we felt like planting in it..." He trailed off. "Easiest way to discover the existence of a doppelgänger or to get your hands on some long, lost moonstone is to have every single member of two warring species on the lookout."

Elena shook her head. "But if there's no curse-"

"There's a curse," he said. "It's a curse placed on Klaus. He has been trying to break it for the last thousand years. And you are his only hope."

"What is this curse?"

"Your phone will not stop its incessant buzzing." He pulled Elena's phone from his pocket. "Answer it, please."

"Stefan, what's wrong? No. No, no, no, no. Okay, we'll be right there." She turned to Abigail. "Klaus is still in Alaric's body. He went after Jenna."

"What?" Her voice moved into a higher pitch. "We have to go to her. Now."

Elijah sped around them, cutting off their path. "I'm afraid that wasn't part of today's arrangement."

"She's our family, Elijah!"

"We'll be back," Elena promised. "You have my word."

He stepped out of their way with one final phrase, "That doesn't mean anything to me until you live up to it."

Jenna knew. She knew everything about vampires and werewolves, witches and doppelgängers. And now she was staring at her nieces, waiting for them to explain themselves.