Chapter 1

*IVORY P.O.V.*

"You're only 17"

"Come on, Mom I already know everything about being a thief, so there is no point in going to school to learn about math" I tell my mom, and she rolls her eyes.

I've always wanted to be a baker, but whatever job unit your family is in, so are you...

It's a very messed up system, your family is given a job unit and whatever job unit they are in so are you and there is no way out. 

The job units starts with...

Healers which are known as doctor, nurses, etc. 

Next are Fighters also known as lawyers, attorneys, etc. 

Third are Makers also considered cooks, bakers, engineers, birthers, etc. 

 Helpers are teachers, professors, etc.

Creative are also writers, painters, musicians, etc. 

 Next are Leaders which are business, accountants, etc

Lastly the unlucky which are fighters, thieves, traders, etc. 

They are called the unlucky, because well they're unlucky to be put in a job unit that doesn't pay much and are illegal...

Most of the people are placed in higher ones ,but about 40% are unlucky. Most unlucky's die rather quickly from not eating, drinking, or just dying in their job unit. 

My family is in the unlucky unit. It's hard, sure but my mom is a thief, a very good one at that so it's not as hard as others.

"Ivory Lilith, you still need to go to school, and maybe you'll be able to become something else" my mom tells me this everyday, but I know that people like us are meant to be at the bottom, and there is no way up.

"I did not raise you to be a failure!"My mom says popping a cigarette in her mouth.

"If it's that hard I'll decide your future later, I'm going to be late" my mom says not even sparing me a goodbye.

I never said it was hard, more like unfair....

I walk to school thinking about my future...

I'm meant to become a thief just like my mother, but it's not exactly what I want to do with my life, but I've spent my entire life training with my mom. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if dad never left, apparently dad was part of the maker job unit. 

Which actually is a really great job, and you get a ton of money. My mom never gave me a chance to become part of the unit, because she didn't want me to be like him.

 I barely remember anything about him, I only remember the crying, and the drinking, and him leaving. All I have is his cookbook, that I use to cook and bake. 

Every time my mother sees my cook with the book she.....she gets mad....

 As I'm walking to school, and I get a sort of memory, I guess I was too distracted by the memory because I fall right on my back. 

Ouch... The memory plays in my head, it's me talking to a kid, who looks just like me, and he is asking me questions. 

"Hey, you ok" I turn to look at who took me out of that daze. 

"Mica?"I ask.

"Who else, you okay?"

 "huh, oh ya I just fell" I say which I stop to realize she asked me if I was ok, huh....weird...