Chapter 62 (edited)

Comincia dall'inizio

I kissed her temple. "I can worry about Ishval and you. Two very important things."

She rolled her eyes but then smiled.

And then we met Marcoh in the hall. "Are you ready?" He looked at Hunter.

She let go of my hand. "Yup." And turned to me. "Please stay outside."

"Are you sure?"

She nodded. "I'd like to do this alone."

I hesitated but gave in. "Alright." I watched as they walked into the room. And now I sat by myself, feeling nervous.

Is this how you felt yesterday?

"Hey!" Falman's voice caught my attention.

"Is she already in there?" He sat next to me.

I nodded. "Mmhm."

"Damn, she wanted me here before she went in." He leaned back.

"Falman."

"Yes Colonel."

I glanced at him. "I have to thank you. For being there when I wasn't."

He thought a moment.

"I read the report, you stepped up when Devlin couldn't and you gave her support when she needed it." I took a breath. "So, personally, I'm thanking you."

He smiled. "Of course. I'm happy being her friend."

Silence fell between us.

"So you two really going back East?" He looked at me.

"Yes. We had a long talk last night and... she's not doing well. I think it would be best if we went back East for a few weeks."

"Oh, you're taking her away again." He joked, trying to lighten the mood.

I laughed. "Not at all. It's something she needs."

"No, I know." He nodded. "She... said some things yesterday in front of Fury and I. ...I didn't know what to say or how to comfort her." He looked at me. "I'm sure it'll be good."

I stared at the floor. "I met Envy under Central."

"I know."

"He confessed to killing Hughes but.... he also confessed to killing Ruth Devlin."

His face went blank. "How did Devlin handle that?"

I took a breath. "She handled it pretty well but.. I didn't tell her the full story."

He looked confused. "Why?"

"Because... he also confessed that the last thing Mrs. Devlin saw was the image of her own daughter running her down."

He went quiet. "Don't tell her." He looked at me.
"Never tell her that."

I nodded. "I never planned to." She'd never come back from that.

The door beside us opened and both Marcoh and Hunter walked out.

I stood up and looked at her. Both eyes were brown again and the scar was gone.

Except.. she looked different. Of course, not physically different, just different.

She didn't look happy or relieved, she didn't look like anything. It's like she was blank and I started to worry. Was this the wrong choice?

I stepped towards her and leaned down. "What's wrong? Aren't you happy...?"

She glanced up at me, this lost look in her eyes. "I don't know..."