Chapter 23

I just got out of the shower and wrapped a towel when I heard a noise in the bedroom. I shuddled up, and yet everything remained silent. Carefully, I opened the bathroom door a crack and peered into the room but I couldn't see anyone. I relaxed and stepped into the bedroom where, to my surprise, there was a black box with a silver bow on the bed. Curious, I went to the box and saw a small folded piece of paper attached to the bow. I took it off and opened the paper.
I told you there would be more.
L.
A smile slipped on my lips and I scraped the silver ribbon from the flat box. Carefully I opened the lid and a beautiful dark green fabric appeared. With wide eyes, I took the dress out and looked at it spellbound.

As quickly as I could, I got ready and slipped into the dress. It was floor length and had a slit on the left side that extended to the middle of my thigh. From the waist up, the cool fabric clung perfectly to every curve and showed off my décolleté . Astonished, I looked at myself in the mirror and slowly turned around my own axis. I slipped into matching highheals and untied my hair from the loose knot I had tied it in. I tugged the dress into place one last time before stepping out into the hallway where Loki seemed to be waiting for me. He leaned against the wall in his suit and regarded me with wide eyes as I stepped out to him. " You look even more beautiful in it than I imagined," he said softly, giving me a kiss on the forehead. " It's perfect Loki. Thank you," I breathed and he grinned at me proudly.

"Shall we?," He asked, gallantly offering me his arm. Smiling, I hooked in with him and we walked side by side down the stairs. " There she is!," I heard Tony call out and we walked between the guests to the rest of the team standing at the other end of the room. " Wow," Nat just said as we walked up to them and eyed me up and down. " Well, I have him to thank for that," I said, looking up at Loki with a smile. " I didn't realize my brother placed so much importance on such things," Thor interjected, frowning as he looked back and forth between me and Loki. " You don't need to know everything brother," Loki replied and put an arm around my waist to pull me closer to him and I felt the gaze of the others resting on us. Wanda tilted her head slightly and Steve gave me a knowing grin but I just shrugged with a smile.

"So you and Loki?", Tony wanted to know after a while when the two of us stood at the bar and looked at me with raised eyebrows. " I know what you're going to say, so please don't do it", I replied only with a sigh and took a big sip of my drink. „Hey", said Tony, holding me by the arm as I made a move to the others. „I don't really like it, but he seems to make you happy, and that's all I want. I want to see you more often like the last few days", he explained softly, and I nodded silently. " That's all I want", he repeated, pulling me into a hug. „Thank you", I whispered, and he let me go with a smile. " But that doesn't mean that I like him very much", he added, looking at me with a wry look, which only made me laugh when we went back to the others.

The evening went great. We drank, danced and had fun. At some point the last guests left and we sat down on the sofas. We started talking about all sorts of things, and at some point most of us were pretty drunk, which you started to notice in the topics of the conversations. Eventually, we came up with conspiracy theories. " Okay okay, uhm. . . JFK", Tony suggested the next one and we started discussing it with a laugh. Nat analyzed all the details of the shot and Steve and Tony argued which of their two theories were more logical. " Hey Bucky, who do you think shot JFK?", Sam wanted to know at some point to involve him more, since he had become very quiet at some point. Bucky swallowed heavily and then looked up at us with a frown. " I think I did", he finally said quietly and all the conversations in the room fell silent.

"Bucky". . . , I went on sadly, but he just shook his head and got up. " I'll go get some air", he said softly and went outside. " God damn it", I cursed quietly and Steve even shunned the comment on my choice of words. We exchanged a worried look and both got up. " I'm going", he said, and I nodded thoughtfully as he ran after Bucky. The others gradually scattered into their rooms, but I did not move a single step. " Hey, it's gonna be okay", I heard Loki's dark voice behind me as he gently stroked over my arms and I turned to him. " You don't know Bucky. I'm afraid for him", I explained, and Loki sighed quietly. " I know darling. Go and help him," he said but I heard from his voice that he was hurt. „Loki," I started but he silent me with a kiss. „He's your friend, it's okay," he told be and I nodded sighting.