"Yes. I believe she is dead."

They both froze at the voice. "Did you say something Cora?"

Cora shook her head to the question. "No--- I didn't---"

"She is correct. My name is Sarassi." Cora turned and looked up slowly to see a tall woman standing behind them. She was wearing a black robe with fifteen knots? Why so many knots?

"Her name was Yasmine. She swam into the ocean before we adjusted the water level."

"Was?" Lucky was curious. When Cora knew exactly what she meant.

"She died, I'd say about a minute ago. Boy two and girl two please head back into your houses. I will send my cohorts to take care of her."

Boy two? Girl two? Cora thought. It must've been their code names for wherever they were.

"Now." This time Sarassi raised her voice at them. Lucky quickly tried to pull Cora with him. "Cora"

Cora quickly fell to the ground, face in her hands. Lucky got down with her and picked her up. "Get her to the diner now. There's an upstair room. Your caretaker should be here soon."

Sarassi was holding Yasmine in her sleeved arms. Cora still sobbing in Lucky's chest.

With a blink, Sarassi was gone. She just disappeared with nothing left but a smite of dust.

Lucky brought Cora to the diner and up to the room. He laid her on the bed and sat next to her. "Cora---" she pushed his hand away; he was trying to comfort her. Lucky hated seeing her upset, he definitely wouldn't tell her about their shared past.

"Please. Leave this room boy two. Let me talk to girl two." Lucky slowed turned around to a man standing at the end of the bed. He was standing in front of a big black window. His eyes darker than ones soul.

"No, I'm not letting you hurt Cora!" Lucky was just yelling now. "I would never wish to hurt one of you."

"One of us? Who else is here?"

"Four others. Sprawled across the habitats."

"Habitats?! We're not animals!"

"Boy two, please settle down. I just wish to talk to her."

"Lucky please, Sarassi said something about a caretaker. I believe that's him." Cora stood up and put her hand on Lucky's shoulder.

"Girl two is correct."

Lucky took a step outside of the diner, shutting the door behind him. "Who are you." Cora was fustrated. The caretaker could tell from her voice; and face. "My name is Cassian. The caretaker for the six of you."

She looked into the black window. Wondering why it didn't show the outside. "You seem confused."

Cora looked at him like he was crazy. "Of course I'm confused! I fell asleep in my bed and woke up in a desert!" He raised an eyebrow. "I understand, but I also understand that you can live under captivity."

"How the hell do you know what I can live under?!" He turned his dark black eyes away to the window.

"I've been watching you Cora."

"Oh so you do know my name."

"Of course I do. Why wouldn't I?"

"Oh I don't know. Maybe because you've been watching me." He looked at the window again and continued. "I haven't just been watching you. But also your mind captivity." She raised an eyebrow and walked towards the door. What a jerk. She thought inside her aching head.

"You seem to be in pain. Also I am not a "jerk." He paused for a minute. "I'm simply here to take care of the six of you."

"Wait, how did you know I called you a jerk?" He sighed but continued. "I can read minds Cora."

"Yeah right, news flash. Humans can read minds." He looked at her with what looked like a bit of pity for her. "Cora, I'm not human." She rolled her eyes and looked into his eyes. She was surprised when she saw a glimmer of light shine in the dark eye. "What are you then?"

"Kindred."

Kindred? She thought, looking at him curiously.

"Yes, the kindred. There is a paper with rules in that drawer. Read them, then call me if you have questions."

He pointed to a drawer in the side desk. It was tilt open just enough to see inside. Then he was gone. He disappeared. Just like Sarassi had.

Cora held up the piece of paper that had three rules listed. Rule one was good hygiene. Why would they lock us here if they want us to take care of ourselves.

She was already annoyed at the rules. Even if she had no choice but to follow. Rule two was to not fight between the others.

Why would I want to fight the others? Who are the others? Where are they? She stopped and stared at the third rule, like time had froze. They want us to reproduce?!