"that's nice, i guess" he responded awkwardly.

"yeah, i heard you are proposing to jade..."

he looked at me quickly, stopping the car. the person behind us started honking. tom looked back at the road and continued driving.

"yeah, i was planning on doing it at thanksgiving." he spoke with an almost broken voice.

"i'm happy for you, tom. i hope it works out" i spoke quietly, think back to how my marriage ended up.

"yeah, i hope so too."

neither of us dared to speak after that. i realized i probably shouldn't have mentioned it to him.

"we are here." he spoke as i saw the store in front of us. "you can go on in, i have to make a call so i'll stay out here."

i knew he was lying.

"okay," i mumbled.

in the store, i practically wasted 2 hours in there. i didn't want to go back into the car, so i went down multiple isles, just looking at the nutrition facts to waste time.

the only thing i ended up getting was a soft green blanket and some more wine. it didn't occur to me originally that i would have to leave the groceries in the car for a couple of hours.

i looked down at my phone which said 10:00 am. perfect, we only have an hour left.

as i was checking out, i heard someone call out my name. i look to the side to see an old friend of mine from highschool, benji.

"oh my goodness," i said with a smile on my face, "if it isn't benji weston. i almost didn't recognize you with the new hair."

back in school, he had ginger hair. when me and tom were still friends, he would call benji a weasley. although, benji never understood what he meant considering he hadn't seen a single harry potter film.

now, he was a lot taller, and very muscular. his hair was a dark shade of black that complimented his blue eyes very well.

i had actually met him through jack originally. he would come over for game nights in the basement while me and bella would watch movies upstairs.

"yeah, well i almost didn't recognize you with straight hair. it's hard to imagine you without curls." he spoke back in the same tone.

i had this phase that lasted very long where i would put my hair on curlers every single night before bed. i always thought they looked so cool, but it turned out not really.

"i guess we both grew up then, huh?" i joked. i noticed the smile on his face fall.

"how have you been since...you kn-" he tried to speak before i interrupted him.

"it's been difficult, but i can't stay stuck on the past. yet, no matter what i do, i feel like i don't have a choice. it's like they follow me around everywhere." i spoke almost scared.

"i still feel horrible, i could've done someth-"

"there was nothing either of us could do. it's what God thought was best for us, so i feel like we should trust him on this. no matter how hard it may be."

me, jack and benji always visited the church. benji was into christianity more than anything. he was always the one to get us back on our feet, but sometimes we needed to do it to him too.

"would you like to go out to lunch right now? i don't have to go to work 'till 2?" he suggested.

"unfortunately, i already have plans," he frowned, "but i'm going to my mothers tomorrow to have lunch. i bet she would love to see you."