8

Sejun's POV

I woke up with a start. I had not realized that I fell asleep.

The room was dark, illuminated by Ken's nightlight.

I took stock of what happened. My left arm was hooked with an IV fluid. My bedside clock read 1:15AM.

I looked to my right. Gab had fallen asleep while waiting for my IV fluids to be consumed. She had borrowed a chair from our study table and her head was resting on my bed.

My heart lurched at the sight of her. I remembered the days when Gab was on her first year as a family medicine resident. She was so tired after her duties that she would fall asleep wherever her head hits a flat surface.

I could not help but stroke her hair. It has been so long since I last touched her. Her hair was familiar to the touch.

I sighed, letting her silky mane fall over my fingertips. I had missed this. I had missed her. Even when we had spent every single moment bickering with each other, I did miss her.

"Miss mo?" Ken asked. I was not aware that he was awake.

Ken propped himself up on his bed. Stell was nowhere to be found.

"Why are you still up?" I asked.

Ken shrugged. "I was watching anime," he explained. Of course. Ken and his anime. An inseparable combination.

"I thought you hated her but I guess I was wrong," Ken commented.

"I don't hate her," I denied.

"I thought you did. You had screamed about how unfair life was last night. You pretty much told us to shut up because we would never understand what you're going through."

Memories of what happened the night before flooded my brain. I was tired. I was feeling sorry for myself. I had lashed out. After which, my digestive system decided to have a party of its own. I had spent what felt like hours in the bathroom.

"I'm sorry about last night," I told Ken.

I was genuinely sorry. The boys were concerned about me. No matter how I acted, they still cared. I had spent a good amount of time in the bathroom, and Justin, kind hearted Justin called Gab telling her about my predicament.

Even when I was mean to Gab everytime we met, she still came through for me. She had treated me well, making sure that I was well hydrated.

I began to feel a little bit guilty about how I acted.

"Don't worry about it," Ken told me. "We understand you, bro."

"I'm really Ate Chona, huh?"

Ken chuckled. "No worries, bro."

I looked at the bottom bunk. Stell was nowhere to be found.

"Where's Stell?" I asked.

"Stell is sleeping on the couch. He offered to let Doc Gab sleep on his bed so she can sleep comfortably but she's stubborn. I'm sure you know that. She insisted that she would sleep beside you."

My heart warmed at the thought. Gab still thinks of my welfare.

"So why is Stell not here?"

"Just in case Doc Gab changes her mind."

I nodded. I continued stroking her hair.

"You miss it?"

"Miss what?"

"The intimacy, the connection that you both used to share."

"I used to be her person. Now, she's-" I could not bear to finish my sentence. She's married. She's someone else's person. Someone that is not me.