Chapter 1

I ran downstairs, carrying only a duffle bag and rose patterned backpack. My feet thumped hard on the stairs, probably shaking dust onto my brother who slept beneath them.
"Mia!" I heard my dad yell from the kitchen. "We're leaving in ten!"
I yelled back that I was ready, and lanes open the door to my brother's "lair".
"Chris," I started. "I'm leaving now."
My only sibling looked up from his single bed and blinked. He had the same sea green eyes as the rest of our family, and his tousled brown hair stood up in different angles. That's where our similes fall short, due to the fact that I'm medium height and slim, whereas Chris is tall and muscular. He sat up quickly, hitting his forehead on the low ceiling and almost impaling his brain on a random nail. "Really, Mia why can't you stay here?"
"You know I can't. Dad wants me to visit his home in California for the year."
"I know," he sighed. "if I have college I'd come with."
I smiled sadly. Id really miss my brother. If I hadn't taken a year off from college right after graduation, I would've stayed behind too. I was beginning to regret my decision of leaving. But dad needed me, he couldn't stand being alone after he and mom split up. Two years ago. Even though he DID have his childhood friend Jack staying over for the year, too.
"Get up, Chris." I have him one last swaying hug before I released him and walked quickly outside before I could start crying.
"Bye, little sis. Text me all the time, you got it?"
I squeaked a yes before going down the hall to meet up with my dad. This house we lived in was an average two storey house. It was minuscule when compared to my fathers sea side mansions and city penthouses. I loves it nonetheless. I looked around one last time, reminding me I'd be back before I knew it. "Lets go, Dad," I sighed before I could change my mind. "We got a long flight ahead of us." My dad just nodded. He, too seemed to be lost for words. So I grabbed his hand and les ourselves out the door and into the waiting limo.