✔Chapter XV - The Royal Protector

Începe de la început

Franq's face darkened and as if Valentine could feel a strange aura surrounding him. Now that the matter came up, he needed to look into it.

"If Billard knew something, I am certain I would have known." Valentine answered carefully.

"Too bad. I didn't get any information in return." Franq's face lightened as the previous laziness returned on his features.

Valentine looked at him. He wanted to ask but he knew Franq's rules of negotiations, if they ask about other customers of him, he would not continue to deliver him any information in the future.

"Then I shall take the gold." He smiled as he took the beer and gulped.

Valentine sighed with relief as for a moment, he thought he would not give him any information, "What did you learn?"

"Well, it's exactly what your human princess said. She had destroyed the whole town of Hakov and she was supposed to be married to the water guild master."

Valentine nodded. "Anything else?"

The informer's eyes narrowed as if he was gathering his knowledge and he started, "Yes, she had destroyed 7 towns, 2 bridges, council offices, beaten up exactly 25 bandit groups and ended up questioned by the wizard council for five times."

Valentine's face twisted. What was she a monster?

Franq continued, "She even beat up one of the guild masters of fire nation, well, two apparently and the members of the guild are still in the care of healers."

Valentine nodded as he wasn't sure what was he looking for.

"Well, have you found anything good about her?"

He pursed his lips to find something but his expressions said it otherwise.

"Did you hear about any sealing?" Valentine asked as he remembered Seraphina saying about sealing her powers.

"No. What sealing?" He asked.

"According to her, she doesn't have her flames due to a sealing."

"Not that I had heard of. I have extracted every information on the Flame Queen. She is ill tempered and people fear her mostly because of her powers. She is a Unique."

Valentine hummed. What she said about the sealing was a lie? Why would she lie about it?

He took out a small bag and slid it on the table toward him.

"Not a word about it shall leave from your mouth." Valentine said.

"Then double the payment."

He knew Franq as he took out another one and Franq cocked a brow.

"You came prepared, I see. Tell me Val, why are you so adamant to keep the Salamander family safe? You are not after their wealth. The only thing I could not understand about you is why did you become a Master at the Dragon's Palace?" He pressed on the word master.

"Sometimes it's better not to know everything, Franq."

"Can't help. Information is the biggest treasure and it might become a weapon. With only a needlepoint of knowledge you can turn the stride of a war." He said.

Valentine nodded, "Indeed. But it is a risky job since classified information or secrets can gain a lot of enemies."

"Oh, I am sure Val, you know lot more than me, after all you we-"

"Not a word after that sentence." Valentine didn't look at him but sipped on his drink, "Remember Franq, I also know about your weaknesses."

He chuckled and said, "Don't worry Master Valentine, I would not spill anything, not until I find your weak point. Just had a curious cat inside of me." Franq finished his mug, "Why a person who had every power in his hands became a mere advisor of the royals?"

Master Valentine placed his mug on the table as he remembered the old times, "Because my debt shall be paid only after I die protecting a Dragon."

They both heard some screams as a man flew in breaking the tavern's wooden walls, smashing a few tables and chairs along with him. Both of the men stood up, startled by the commotion.

The customers of the tavern scattered away as the man stood up with the help of his sword. His legs trembled but he stood facing his enemy.

Valentine looked at the big hole beside the door as the attacker came, cracking her fingers. Her red hair messed up and a devilish grin played on her face.

Valentine's face parted with wide gap while Franq nodded in appreciation.

The man went to her, pointing his sword as he lunged at her. She bend forward and took a broken chair from the tavern as she stood, she smashed the broken chair on his head. The man stepped back however, swung at her direction.

Valentine saw Seraphina's right arm had an arrow poking out of it as blood splattered on her sleeves but she fought with the enemy as if she hadn't been feeling any pain.

What was she doing here? And his eyes found a thirteen years old child in a shopkeeper's cloak. Now his jaw smashed on the broken table before him. That was the young Prince!

He was about to run to him however, another man approached him. Valentine thought his heart would leap out but Seraphina was quick to get behind him as smashed another chair on the man.

An arrow came out of nowhere but Sera was quick to dodge it as it crossed her cheek and jabbed on a fruit behind her. The fruit vender jumped from his shop and ran away leaving the fruits. Seraphina took the sword and covered the prince behind her as three of the enemies stood there and the fourth man was far away with arrows pointed her. She was surrounded but the smirk never left her face.

"Will you stop shoving me wherever you want?" Demian growled from behind her.

"But you are the one they are after!"

"It was your fault!"

"Well, thank you for the compliment but maybe I had a problem with my sight, you were enjoying the meals and you were pretty interested in the shops."

Demian's face reddened with anger and Valentine could feel it from here.

"You... You are dead when we reach the castle."

"Aren't we already?" As Seraphina finished her question, three of them lunged all together but met with a clang as her sword took the hit.

"Throw me the arrow,"

Demian looked at the watermelon where the arrow was embedded and his brows twitched because the arrow was into it by half. He took the watermelon and threw at her.

As the watermelon landed on her hands, she shouted, "What am I supposed to do with a watermelon? Feed the enemies?"

"Do whatever you want. The arrow is in there."

Without another dagger or a weapon, Seraphina made the watermelon her second weapon and threw it to a man before her. It smashed on his face as he fell on his butt and she had an opening. She didn't waste a time and slashed the enemy.

Franq chuckled from beside Valentine and asked, "Is that the girl we were talking about?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"She is exactly what they described her to be."

Well, Valentine didn't have doubts about that.