Chapter 30

A long chapter to make up for the non updates of last week. Took me a long time so please do vote and comment <3 <3

"My biggest fear is that eventually you'll see me the way I see myself"
- Anonymous

CHAPTER 30

Mishti : Damn it. Damn it.

Abir looked up in surprise. He had been sitting in his study working but had that been Mishti's voice? Was she here in his house? Why did he not know about it? He walked out of the study to the living room but she was not there. Had he imagined her voice?

Abir : You're going mad, Abir. If you had to imagine Mishti, Why would you imagine her saying Damn it instead of something wonderful. You are being weird.

Mishti : I'm going to kill you.

Abir blinked. He knew he had not imagined that. He turned to the right. Was the sound coming from the kitchen? He went to the kitchen but stopped at the entrance. He moved slightly towards the wall so that Mishti could not see him.

Mishti : Now, listen to me.

Abir wondered if she had already seen he was here. But she seemed to be glaring at the pan in front of her.

Mishti : Anya told me that Abir loves ramen. So I'm trying to make it for him but you are being stubborn, noodles. And you, veggies? Why aren't you cooking? How did you end up burned before you even got cooked? What will I give Abir now? Be cooperative.

Abir had to grin. His temptress was just too cute. He grimaced looking at the mess on the stove and wondered what she would do now. Leaning against the wall, he watched her chop some vegetables. His phone beeped and he looked at it surprised to know that he had been watching Mishti for almost half an hour without moving a muscle. What was it about her that he did not mind skulking about the kitchen? He was even content. He looked as she happily got up.

Mishti : Round two, here we go.

Abir could not stop his smile. He did not notice Anya and Arjun watching him from the corner, smiles on their faces as well.

Arjun : When I was a boy, I once noticed my father looking at our mother with this expression. I always called it The Look. I don't know what else to call it. It seemed like he was watching her, tracing every line, every curve, every wrinkle of hers like he was memorizing her and then he used to look at us the same way and he used to look happy. A sort of happiness that hid nothing and everything. It was sharp and gentle and I used to wonder what was going on in his head. I see Abir with the same expression now and I finally understand what it means.

Anya : What does it mean?

Arjun : It means that I want to live in this moment forever and never let it go. Abir loves Mishti. He has to.

Anya : Will he ever tell her that?

Arjun scoffed.

Arjun : If I know my brother, It might take a long time for his stupid brain to figure it out. But, I hope so.

They chuckled and seeing his phone ring, Arjun excused himself. Anya went to Abir and touched his shoulder, startling him.

Abir : Shh. What are you doing here? Anyway, it does not look like Round 2 is going well.

Anya : What is she trying to make anyway?

Abir : Ramen. Apparently you told her it was my favourite?

Anya : I did. But I never thought she would end up trying to make it. She can't keep rice and she started making ramen?

Abir : Mishti can't cook?