Chapter Twelve: Auntie's Wicked Tales

Start from the beginning

"Hmm," Mrs. Granville pondered for a moment. She considered herself to be enlightened both in theory and in practice, but her niece could always ask questions that caught her off guard, "I suppose there is something exciting in a challenge, of one chasing the other, even if it is only a game and mutual affection is assured. Albeit, each relationship is unique, and you must figure out what works for you."

"But that is the thing, Auntie. I cannot figure anything out about Benedict. When I am with him, everything just seems so easy, so natural and I just forget to worry."

"Well if you are so keen on worrying all the time, I must warn you about premature death."

"But I like worrying Auntie, that keeps me on edge."

"Being always on edge has the danger of falling off the cliff."

"You seem to contradict everything I say."

"No, you contradict everything I say. And I do hope that Mr. Bridgerton shows up soon so you can continue bickering him."

"Oh well, I see now why you are so keenly supporting our ... whatever this is. You are eager to get rid of me."

"Naturally, life was careless before we had a reluctant debutante on our hands. Less amusing, though."

"Well, I am glad that I offer you entertainment," Franny grimaced, "But I hate to be presented as someone who has no control over the events. The dance with Mr. Bridgerton was equally my doing, clumsy and awkward yes, but still mine."

"Well, I suppose the question is how much autonomy we have over affections," Mrs. Granville commented absent-mindedly.

Franny grew quiet, squeezing the paper in her hands, "There's something I wanted to talk to you about, Auntie."

Lucy's eyes shifted to her niece and filled with affection, "What is it dear? I am all ears."

Franny bit her lips and scanned their surroundings nervously, making sure that the coast was clear.

"You know Auntie... I have never felt any kind of affection towards anyone so far," she muttered, hesitating.

"Yes," Lucy answered patiently, knowing very well where the conversation was going, but giving enough time for her niece to collect her courage.

"Yesterday, when dancing with Benedict, something happened, I felt something that I have never experienced before."

"Yes," Lucy commented encouragingly, noting how Mr. Bridgerton suddenly became Benedict.

"At first I was awfully aware of everything. The missteps I took, how close we were, his hand on my waist, his eyes staring into mine. And it was awkward, I was uncomfortable, yet it almost felt... natural. When he asked me to let him lead, I was reluctant to do so, because... I don't know why... I reckon because I was afraid that if I gave up my resistance, I would lose control. Does that make sense?"

"Yes," came the same reply from Mrs. Granville, in a reassuring tone.

"When I finally did, when I let him take the lead, and let my inhibition go... When our bodies were pressed together, I felt this... tingling sensation taking over. It was hot, demanding, and I could not think straight. All I wanted at that moment was for him to be closer. I have no idea how, but that meddlesome Lady Whistledown is right, I was eager to kiss him and I am sure he felt the same. We didn't, of course, but we came perilously close."

"Franny dearest, what you are talking about, what you are experiencing is completely natural, it's called desire," Mrs. Granville explained, breaking her series of single-word answers.