Part 15 Sweet Surprise

After receiving the baya, women dresses up in bright clothes and apply mehendi on their hands and feet, which symbolise a married Indian woman, in our culture. If the woman is newly-married and it is her first Karva Chauth, gifts are given to the boy’s side of the family, by the girl’s side. This can include jewellery, money, clothes, sweets and more.

In the evening, women get together at someone’s household where the pooja is held. This area where the pooja will take place is decorated with a beautiful idol of Maa Parvati and kharia mitti or mud.

A few hours before the moon rises, the traditional story of Karva Chauth is narrated to all the married women.

The katha is read aloud as the thali with a sweet, glass of water, a diya and other puja materials is passed around in a circle. All that is left now is to wait for the moon to rise.

First, they view the moon through the sieve. Then, water is offered to the moon. After that, they look at their husbands through the same sieve. A prayer is said asking for the husband’s long life and then, the husband breaks his wife’s fast by feeding her a morsel of food or by making her drink a sip of water.

"Yash. You." Sanskar asked surprised finding him, but there was more shock for him is there.

Sanskar was shocked seeing his Son there playing with some. And he rubbed his eyes whether he was thinking some others as his son. And opened his eyes and saw no one. He shook his head.

Laksh lifted Yash before his Bhaiya saw him. And hid behind Pillar.

"Oi Champ. "

"Haan. Chachu. " Yash smiled at his Chachu.

"You don't remember mom telling you. It's a surprise. Dad should not see you Beta. We needs to surprise him. Let's play a game. If your father sees you, you are out and He wins. If you hid from father well then it was you who win. Then I would take you to Park. " Laksh bribed his Son perfectly who was happy to play game with his father.

Laksh doesn't wants to fail her friends plan. He know his brother was not in love with her. But he could sense something in him, he was willing to see his brother happiness with her friend.

"May be I should go and see him tomorrow. " He thought and left seeing so many workers doing the decoration.

"Maa. What's the function today?" Sanskar asked her.

Sujatha smiled at her son. He had never seen him interested in Karwa Chauth. He would be doing work and come just by time. He always hate these kind of rituals.

"Sanskar. Today karwa Chauth beta. You don't remember? Your wife didn't tell you? Are you speaking to her or not?" Sujatha asked concern, not even cared to inform his son about his wife arrival.

"Maa. I talk with her daily maa. " Sanskar assured her.

"Maa.Food." Sanskar asked, nevertheless what he felt he moved to Sujatha and said, "Okay. Maa. Let me Fast today. " He informed her silently and left without waiting for her to respond.

Sujatha watched her son leave in astonishment. Sanskar never Faster in his married days with Swara. Swara always fasted for her, even Her husband do fast for her. Sanskar was never orthodox or religious, so he prefered Only Praying on Occasion. This fasting and so all are too much for him to do or to believe. But she could sense something, his son was willing to do something he never did, Is it because he started Loving Ragu Or Is it because he feels like Swara death guilt? She thought the latter could be.