050. 'Tis The Season

Start from the beginning

       "Venus, I'd like you to meet Eldred Worple, an old student of mine, author of Blood Brothers: My Life Amongst the Vampires — and, of course, his friend Sanguini."

       Worple, who was a small, stout, bespectacled man, grabbed Venus' hand and shook it enthusiastically. Sanguini, a tall pale-faced man just frowned down at her. He didn't seem to be enjoying himself either.

       "Venus Black, I am simply delighted!" said Worple, peering shortsightedly up into Harry's face. "I was saying to Professor Slughorn only the other day, 'Where is the biography of Venus Black for which we have all been waiting?' "

       "Er," said Venus, "I go by Rosario."

       "Hm?" said Worple.

      "It's Venus Rosario," she said irritably.

       "Oh well, Here, have a pasty," said Worple, seizing one from a passing elf and stuffing it into Venus'. "Have you had an interview about your father with one of our Prophet workers?"

       "Oh yes I've had loads of interviews," said Venus sarcastically, "and I've just seen a friend of mine, sorry."

       She pulled Constance after him into the crowd; she had indeed just seen waist-length platinum blonde hair flow in the air. "Luna! Luna!"

       "Oh hello Venus, hello Constance."

       "Hi Luna," greeted Constance, who's reluctance to talking to the Ravenclaw had diminished.

       "Where's Harry?" Venus asked looking around the party.

       "Oh, behind there talking to Hermione," the blonde said indicating a curtain behind two members of the Weird Sisters. "I fled, I could feel a nargle in there. Enter at your own risk."

       Venus and Constance walked to the curtain and entered. Harry and Hermione were indeed inside, Hermione looking quite disheveled.  "What're you guys doing back here?" she asked. Harry jumped when she spoke. Hermione looked elated to see them.

       "I'm hiding from McLaggen," she said. "From under the mistletoe," she added.

       "Serves you right for coming with him," Harry told her severely.

       "I thought he'd annoy Co— Ron most," Hermione corrected herself. Constance didn't seem to notice anything. "I debated for a while about Zacharias Smith, but I thought, on the whole —"

       "You considered Smith?" said Harry, revolted.

       "That toerag?" Venus said with the same amount of disgust in her voice as Harry.

       "Yes, I did—" Hermione stopped and looked from the curtain horrified. "Oh, he's coming over here."

       "I'll cover for you," said Constance, leaving with Hermione. Then turning around the wink at Venus. Venus sent her a rude gesture as she watched her leave the curtain.

       Now, Harry and Venus were left alone behind the curtain. "Er— this totally isn't awkward," she said tensely, fixing her heel again.