anticipation

A/N: hi!! this is my first time posting my fics to wattpad, so please let me know if there's something i can do to make the format better! also, no smut in this part but i'll make up for it i promise 🥰🥰

————————————————————————

Well folks," Hotch sighed. "It looks like we're stuck here in Philly for another day."

You, Hotch, Rossi, Morgan, Reid, JJ, and Prentiss let out a collective sigh, exhausted from the case you all had just worked and wanting to sleep in your own beds. Fortunately for everyone but you, they had a hotel bed to sleep in and more than enough clothes to last through the next day. You'd had been tied up at Quantico for the majority of the case, but your special ability to get suspects to talk was needed to save the final victim before he suffocated to death underground. This, of course, meant that you hopped on the next commercial flight to Philadelphia to join the BAU since they already had the jet there.

"Um, where will I be sleeping? Since I just got in this morning I don't have a room, and since United can't even be trusted to keep track of luggage on a direct flight, I have no clothes either," you said.

"Prentiss, are you okay with sharing a room with Y/N? The hotel's completely booked and you're about the same size too, so if you happen to have any extra clothes that could save Y/N a trip to the store," Hotch asked.

"I—uh l, yeah, sure. That's fine by me," Emily replied, scratching the back of her neck as she leaned against the railing in the hotel lobby.

As everyone else began having side conversations,, you noticed Emily was gripping the railing rather tightly and looking down at the ground. You looked at her face, and you could tell that something was bothering her.

There had always been something between you and Emily. As the two sapphic people on the team, you often leaned on each other at work for support when victims were targeted for their sexuality. You two shared a bond because you typically were the only ones in the field for cases, along with JJ. Outside of work, the two of you always got along. You laughed and joked, getting along just as any two friends would. However, there was always something under the surface:  buzzing romantic, sexual tension that went unspoken between the two of you. It certainly wasn't unnoticed by the rest of the team—they were profilers, after all. Everyone, even Hotch at times, teased the two of you about it. You saw it yourself: the flirtatious remarks, the long gazes across the table, the look shared when one of you had a close call, everything. But the thing that always gave you butterflies was how when something caused the team to laugh, you were always the first person Emily looked at. And she was the first person you looked at.

In the past few months though, things had changed. The usual confident, cocky Prentiss left when you came around, replaced with a distant and quiet Emily. You wracked your brain for weeks once you noticed the change, trying to figure out what caused it. There were two events that were fairly close together that you could think of that might have triggered this change in behavior.

First, you broke up with your boyfriend. No one in the BAU liked him, since he had no respect for your job or the amount of effort you put into it. But no one hated him more than Emily.

"The guy was a loser. Honestly Y/N, I don't know how you stayed with him for this long. You should be with someone who treats you right, not like an abandoned cigarette on a subway platform. And yes, that's how he treated you. Who no-shows on the first meeting with their partner's parents not one, not two, but three times? You should ditch the men for your next relationship, a woman would never do that" she joked, taking a sip of her coffee.