Chapter Two

I’m the last to climb onto our small church bus. Sierra, Lexie, Elizabeth and Taylor are already in their seats. I find that there are hardly any left, so I have to sit next to someone I don’t know. I don’t mind that so much, though, because I get along with pretty much everyone.

I soon find myself making conversation with the girl beside me, and learn that her name is Mandy. We talk about all sorts of things, starting with the book on her lap.

Pointing to it, I ask, “What’re you reading?”

“It’s a book by Steve Brown called ‘Three Free Sins’,” she answers. “It’s pretty awesome.”

“Oh, I’ve heard of him! Is he that pastor on the radio who goes, ‘I’m Steve Brown. You think about that’?” I say, imitating him in my weak attempt at a deep, baritone voice. I’ve always loved his voice.

“Yeah, that’s him!”

“Cool! What’s the book about?”

“It talks about God’s grace,” she explains. “It’s helping me through my insecurity of His love for me… I’ve been dealing with it for a few years. I’ve done some stuff I’m not so proud of and my dad left us three years ago, so… yeah.”

“I’m sorry,” is my quiet response.

“God’s my dad now and there isn’t anything that I need more than Him.”

I nod, but I’m sure Mandy can tell that I’m feeling uncomfortable, so hardly anything else is said during the ride.

We pass by so many farms and strawberry fields on our way to the Jones’ house. I wonder what it’s like to live on a farm. I heard that the family we’re going to help lives on one.

As we turn left onto James L. Redman Parkway, we pass Cowboy’s Steakhouse & Saloon.

“I could go for some steak!” one boy in the back says. His friends laugh and agree.

Mandy’s stomach suddenly growls quite loudly. It’s clear that she’s embarrassed about it as she turns away from me and gazes out the window instead.

“Oh gosh,” I say, giggling. “It sounds like you haven’t eaten in days!”

Mandy turns her head and faces me briefly. The look in her sad green eyes that I see for only a second makes me wonder if I shouldn’t have said that.

“And we are here, guys!” says Mrs. Hills, the bus driver, also known as Pastor Amanda. “Please watch your step on your way out. I’ll be back to pick y’all up in an hour and then we’ll go to Parkesdale Farm Market for treats. I suggest the strawberry milkshakes!”