CHAPTER 5

I get dressed in a teal knee length sleeveless pencil dress with a denim jacket and white sneakers. I hope this is decent enough for my sister and I sincerely hope that she wasn’t talking about heels when she said I must be decent. I drive home and when I get there, I park outside the yard. I go inside and head to the lounge where I find my family seated with an old couple, a young lady and a young man. Hope this is not the famous Khumo because he is really young.

Me: “dumelang.” I greet and they greet back. I sit down on the vacant seat next to Kagiso.
Mom: “this is my beautiful daughter Sylvanella and Nella these are you in-laws, Mr. and Mrs. Semoko and their younger children, Dineo and Lesego.” I frown and then quickly smile and shake hands with my ‘in-laws’.

The reason why I am frowning is because mom looks like a healthy woman. There is no sign that she had a heart attack recently. Or maybe she was faking it? But she is not that desperate to marry me off. Or is she? This situation is so confusing. I am brought back by Kagiso shaking me.

Me: “what?”
Kagiso: “the Semokos want to know what you do for a living.”
Me: “ohh. I am a boxer.” The mother frowns.
Mrs. Semoko: “you mean a fighter?”

Me: “no Mrs. Semoko. I am a boxer. When you say ‘a fighter’, it’s like you are saying I go around fighting with people on the streets which is not the case. I am a national champion and I also have a few gyms where I train people.”

Mrs. Semoko: “to beat up other people?” she asks with a disgusted face. I chuckle.
Mom: “she is very dedicated and to her boxing is her lifeline.”
Lesego: “more like a hobby. What else do you do outside boxing?” I laugh angrily. Mom stands up.

Mom: “we can all move to the dining room. They are done setting up the table. Everyone stands up and leaves. Mom holds me as I am about to exit the lounge. “Can you try and act less offended?” I frown.
Me: “did you really have a heart attack or you just faked it?” she looks at me with hurt in her eyes.

Mom: “how can I fake a thing like that Nella? I am not even well but I am masking my ill-health from our guests. Can you also mask your anger?” I huff and she releases my wrist. I go to the dining room and sigh when I see that the only vacant seat is between Kea and Mose. God is really against me today. I go sit down.

Mr. Semoko: “the food looks really delicious. I can’t wait to taste it.” He looks like a man of few words. I guess he won’t be giving me a problem unlike the mother hen. Mom sits down and smiles at Mr. Semoko.

Mom: “this is one of my favorite dishes. I always prepare it on special occasions.”
Mr. Semoko: “you are the one who cooked this?”
Mose: “cooking is her specialty. She is a chef.”

She sounds so innocent right now. She has been so quiet. Her and Kea. Maybe mom bribed them today to keep quiet. Kagiso says grace and we all dig in. compliments are flying left, right and center for the chef and she is smiling like she won the lottery. When we are done, we are served desert. After that, we move to the patio because of the warm breeze.

Dad: “so where is your son, Khumo?” dad asks the question that I have been wanting to ask all night but I didn’t wanna come off as forward.
Mrs. Semoko: “oww he is wrapping up things in the army and coming back home for good.”
Kagiso: “does he know that you have arranged a marriage for him?”

Mrs. Semoko: “yes. He wants a well-mannered lady from a well off family, who also isn’t a gold digger.” Mose chuckles and mom shoots her a sharp look. She quickly masks her chuckle with a cough.
Lesego: “so are you well-mannered and independent Nella?”

Me: “first off it’s ausi Sylvanella for you. Don’t call me Nella. We are not peers. Also you have no right asking me questions like that. I don’t know about your family Mrs. Semoko but in our family, young children like them,” I point at Dineo and Lesego, “know their place and they know when to talk.”

Mrs. Semoko: “she just wants to know more about you since you will be sisters soon. Is that a crime?”

Kea: “I don’t mean to be rude but my sister is right. There is a difference between curiosity and disrespect. Your daughter is disrespectful and we have all the means to discipline her and turn her into a ‘well-mannered lady’. So keep her on a leash.” She opens her mouth for the first time this evening and she actually speak something which makes sense.

Dad: “So Semoko, what do you think of my daughter? Is she the perfect candidate for your son?” Mr. Semoko smiles.

Mr. Semoko: “she is perfect. I love her. If she can put these two in their lane then I am definitely looking forward to having her as my daughter in law.” He stands up. “We will be on our way now. Mr. Motaung, I will come by your farm so that we can discuss more about this marriage.” Dad stands up and they shake hands.

Dad: “looking forward to our meeting.”
Mr. Semoko: “Mrs. Motaung thank you for the food and for the hospitality. And Nella, I can’t wait for you to meet my son. I have a feeling you are going to get along very well. Everyone let’s go.” His family stands up. “Good night everyone.”

Mom: “good night and safe travel.” They head out.
Me: “that went well.”
Mose: “that man is going to be your best friend at your new home. You’re already lucky.” I roll my eyes.

Maybe this arranged marriage won’t be bad. Seems like I am going to have an interesting time at their home and Mrs. Semoko with her daughter will keep me entertained. Can’t wait to stir up trouble.