17. Daring Demon

Maybe Seonghwa was trying to avoid Hongjoong just a teeny tiny bit. Not that it was an easy task within the confinements of his own home and given that the demon slept in the same bed as him. Still, Seonghwa made it his utmost priority to dodge the other man as good as possible and ensure that it was either him or Hongjoong who took care of Wooyoung's needs. He didn't allow another round of Ludo that they sometimes played together at night, and even the ice cream party ended up in him just telling the other two boys to get their portion whenever they desired it.

Hongjoong had caught on too quickly, though. With his keen senses and his knowledge of just exactly how humans usually reacted to demons, he had put two and two together, and no force in the world could stop his mischief.

The first taste of it surprised Seonghwa. It was late into the evening, and he had just brought Wooyoung to bed. As usual, if he wasn't dead tired, Seonghwa made a round through the house and checked on every window and door to make sure they were locked tightly. His protective instincts towards Wooyoung were high even if he had never experienced the misfortune of a burglar in his home.

Upon entering the living room, Seonghwa found Hongjoong on the couch as he lazed around still. His long leather-clad legs were spread open invitingly and sprawled over the floor. For once, he wore two matching black socks that also matched his outfit, and Seonghwa pretended as if he hadn't glanced directly at his crotch upon entering the room.

He just had to make sure Hongjoong wasn't indecent in the middle of their living space. There were children around, after all.

"Hey, mortal." Hongjoong barely raised his head at Seonghwa as he strode past him to check the windows. One of them was still open slightly so Hongjoong could feel the night air on his skin. Seonghwa felt accomplished closing it. In response to Hongjoong's voice, he just hummed undefined.

"Wanna take a seat?"

Mortified, Seonghwa whipped around to him. Hongjoong's eyes were ever to patient and full of mischief. Even his lips curled into a crooked grin.

Then, he rose his glass of juice in Seonghwa's direction before he could reply. Dumb, Seonghwa stared at it. Seat? Juice? Sip? Sip? Had he meant to offer a sip to him?

With quizzical eyes, Seonghwa shook his head. Not deterred at all, Hongjoong sipped on his drink.

"You going to bed?"

The weirdness of Seonghwa not being the one steering the conversation freaked him out. Since when was he too shy to talk? Especially towards Hongjoong, his... cute demon housemate? He had tried so hard to avoid making things weird between them. Twelve years could be a long time around a person that one wasn't comfortable with.

"Ah, yeah. You can still watch stuff, though, if you want."

Seonghwa prayed to be asleep by the time he had Hongjoong so close next to him. The idea of having to sleep next to a barely dressed demon knowing exactly what most of his thoughts centred around these days made Seonghwa horribly nervous

With a grin, Hongjoong reached for the remote and turned the TV off.

"No, I was waiting for you anyways. Don't want you and your light sleep to be disturbed if I'm not on time! Humans are fragile; after all, you need your rest!"

He wasn't wrong. But Seonghwa still grimaced at the demon using his own words against Seonghwa.

"Thanks. That's extraordinarily attentive of you. Are you planning to trick me?" Seonghwa's suspicious glances earned him laughter from Hongjoong. As the demon stood from the couch to stretch, Seonghwa, for the first time, really noticed how long his legs were. Given his usual soft sweater-clad appearance and his cuddly behaviours, Hongjoong's energy was tinier than he truly was. Yet, Seonghwa found himself to be glad to be the taller one. It gave him a bit of superiority when in every other sense, Hongjoong effortlessly beat him.