Seconds later, a loud explosion sounded from up above the ravine, the pillbox disappearing into a cloud of dust. 

I did it. 

A small sigh or relief fell from my lips as I readjusted my grip on the gun. This still wasn't over. 

"I need to get closer!" Bellamy yelled, his distraught eyes flickering across the scene. There was still one cannon we needed to take out in order for all of this to be worth it. 

"Get closer." Murphy ordered. "I'll cover you."

I continued firing at the remaining pillboxes, adrenaline rushing through my veins. 

Soon enough, gunfire began sounding from the Rover, signalling that Murphy had taken over the gatling gun.

"I'll be right behind you!" I called to Bellamy, sidestepping out of the line of fire for a moment. "Don't miss."

He gave me a sure look as he ducked out from behind the Rover. "I won't miss."

With that, he rushed across the gorge, throwing himself behind a large boulder. I lifted my gun, firing protective shots as I ran after Bellamy, ducking down beside him. 

"Murphy! Cease fire." Bellamy yelled, motioning for Murphy to stop providing cover. 

My breathing was rapid as I stole a glance toward the nearest pillbox. "Still no cannon." I breathed, looking back to Bellamy with a strained expression. "What do we do?"

Bellamy reached out, giving my hand a quick squeeze before he looked out over the rock. When he looked back at me, a sly grin was on his face. "We win."

I felt my stomach flip as I looked toward the pillbox. The cannon was there. 

Bellamy stood up, and I readied to cover him in case anything went awry. 

But luckily, everything went perfectly according to plan. Three quick shots and the cannon had been struck, blowing up everything in its wake. 

I let out a small laugh as Bellamy ducked back behind the rock, a huge grin on his face.

"You did it." I beamed. I knew the battle wasn't over, but this was a good start. 

Bellamy grinned as I pulled me closer to him. "Of course I did."

Within minutes, the shiver inducing sounds of a battle cry ripped into the air. It was time to take back the valley. 

I pushed myself to my feet, sticking out my hand to pull Bellamy up along with me.

"Emori! John!" I called, turning back toward the Rover. "It's time!"

"Avery!" Emori's voice came out rushed and anxious, and her tone alone caused my heart to drop.

I gave Bellamy a nervous look before rushing toward the Rover, the sound of our army getting closer and closer. 

"What happened?" I demanded, pulling myself into the back. My eyes instantly landed on Murphy who was laid across on of the back benches, blood soaking his jacket.

"Oh my God." I whispered, dropping down next to him. "Where are you hit?" There was  too much blood for me to pinpoint an exact location.

"He's hit more than once." Emori answered, her voice wavering. "We need to get him out of here."

I nodded, looking over my shoulder to where Madi and the army were rapidly approaching. 

"We need to get him to the transport ship." I ordered. "Once we take back the valley, Abby can tend to all of our wounded on there."