Odin's Visit

Chapter Two

Loki's P. o. V:

I storm out of Bruce's room, emotions whirling through my head. The raw pain in his eyes when I told him that I was giving up the child haunts me. I honestly didn't expect him to actually care for the child. I expected him to be disgusted. I gently place my hand over my hidden belly. A small flutter hits the palm of my hand. Adrenaline runs through me. Could my baby be kicking already? I'm only about three months along. I feel another movement beneath my palm. Without thinking, I rush back into Bruce's room. He is still sitting on his bed, stunned. I knock on the door, then walk in. I sit down next to him, then get rid of my glamour. His eyes fix on my belly, and my cheeks color in embarrassment. Gently, I grab his hand and place it over my belly. The confused look on his face soon morphs into one of astonishment. I hear a gasp in the doorway. In a panic, I use my magic to slam the door. I hear a thump, then the sound of a body rolling down the stairs in front of the door. Bruce jumps up and yanks open the door. I rush to his side as well. My stomach lurches as the scene before me unfolds. Pepper is laying at the bottom of the stairs, and she isn't moving.

Bruce's P. o. V:

I rush down the stairs, not really believing what I am seeing. I crouch down next to Pepper, checking her vitals. She has a pulse, but only just. "JARVIS, do a scan on Pepper. I want to know what's wrong," I command cooly.

"She has a broken leg, and her back is broken. It is not recommended that you move her. She is in critical condition, and she needs the help of a doctor soon," JARVIS concludes. I nod.

"Thank you." Before I can call any of the Avengers, Loki reappears. He looks slightly sick, but in control. "Can you help her?" I ask. Loki shrugs.

"I'm not sure. I have never healed such a major injury. However, I can teleport her to her room, and summon a doctor," he replies. I nod.

"Please do that." Loki nods, closing his eyes to concentrate. Pepper's body floats back up the stairs and into her bedroom. At last, he opens his eyes and relaxes.

"She is resting comfortably. If you wish to see her, you may. I require sustenance," Loki informs me. He tries to take a step, only to crumple to the ground. I try to help him up, but he bats me away. "I do not need your help!" he hisses. I slowly back away and head upstairs to see Pepper. Loki follows behind me.

"I thought you required sustenance," I gripe.

"It can wait. I want to talk to Pepper," Loki says. I nod, and we both go into Pepper's room. She is awake, but unable to move. Loki has her strapped to a board so that she can't move and hurt herself.

"What happened to me?"

"You fell down. Are you okay?" Loki lies smoothly. Pepper shakes her head, looking confused.

"I can't move. I think my leg is broken."

"How much do you remember before your fall?" Loki wonders. I can see the panic in his eyes.

"I don't remember anything," Pepper says, looking sad.

"That's completely normal. I'm sure the memory will come back to you within the next few days," Loki reassures her. I can see the relief in his eyes, and momentarily wonder what he was so worried about. He shoots me a look, his back turned to Pepper. "Later," he mouths. I nod. Loki turns back to Pepper and lays his hand on her leg. Green sparks of magic flow out of his fingertips, knitting around her leg. Pepper whimpers in pain, but her face shows relief. Loki crashes to the ground, whimpering in pain. I rush over to help him, but he smacks me away. "I'm fine. It's a side effect of the healing. It took a lot of energy out of me. I'll be fine once I get some substantial food into me," Loki replies, brushing past me. I stare at him, stunned. He ignores me and continues on his quest to the kitchen.