so big, so small

two things to keep in mind as you read: 1) appa flies at the speed of plot and 2) i do not study geography and have only studied geology a little bit. please be kind lmao. i hope you enjoy my contribution to this underrated "childhood crushes to angst" pairing!

~*~

"Tomorrow, Gyatso, I'm finally going to beat you at Pai Sho," Aang said, brimming with confidence as he and his mentor climbed the stone stairs toward the temple's sleeping chambers. He'd come within a few moves of victory against Monk Gyatso that day - surely he'd pull off a victory sooner rather than later.

Gyatso chuckled. "Perhaps." He gave Aang a sly grin. "But it would be highly unfortunate if your most valued tiles refused to obey your commands during our next game, would it not?"

Aang mock-scowled at the monk, aware his irritated expression did not match the excited twinkle in his eyes. He was all too familiar with Gyatso's favorite tactic of airbending his opponent's robes over their eyes and not-so-discreetly shifting around any tiles on the verge of winning a game.

Or maybe he only used that technique against Aang.

"That would be very unfortunate," Aang agreed, though he couldn't stop an amused grin from tugging at his lips. "But I'm sure nothing like that will happen -"

"Master Aang."

Aang jumped at the interruption, turning on his heel to see - "Monk Tashi?!" He bowed towards the elder airbender, unsure why the man had approached him. Particularly so late in the day - the sun had almost finished setting. "Is there something you need from me?"

"Not at this moment," Tashi replied as Aang straightened out of his bow. "I simply wished to inform you, young master, that tomorrow you will be called before the Council of Elders."

Aang's shoulders stiffened. "I will? Why?" Out the corner of his eye, he noticed Gyatso stand taller, his mentor's brow furrowing in thinly-disguised fury.

"You needn't concern yourself with this meeting now, Aang," Gyatso said before Tashi could respond, placing a hand on Aang's left shoulder. His grip was firm, though not enough to cause pain. "Monk Tashi is speaking out of turn."

Tashi frowned, lifting his chin. "Calm yourself, Gyatso. I only wished to provide Aang with an advance warning, hence come tomorrow he will be prepared -"

"All you have provided him with is a restless night of agonizing over why he, a child, is expected to appear before the Council," Gyatso snapped, his tone harsh enough to make Aang flinch. Aang rarely heard such outrage from his mentor - that meant something had to be deeply wrong for Gyatso to react in this way. "There was no reason for you to broach this subject before tomorrow."

A frown tugged at the corners of Tashi's lips. "Gyatso. You know as well as I do the uncertain times our world faces. Aang must be prepared to accept -"

"Enough!" Gyatso's grip on Aang tightened, his nails digging into Aang's shoulder with enough force to make him wince. "We will not speak of this any further. Good night, Monk Tashi." Without another word to the elder - Aang didn't even have time to bow - Gyatso had spun Aang around and was nudging him up the stairs to their original destination.

Aang swallowed a rising lump in his throat, anxiety burning in his chest. That conversation had not boded well for him. "Gyatso, what was Monk Tashi -"

"Do not concern yourself with what Monk Tashi spoke of," Gyatso interrupted. His voice was gentler now, his hand a comforting presence on Aang's shoulder once more rather than an ironclad grip. "He was out of line, more concerned with the notion of responsibility than the individuals who are forced to bear it."