Conflicts And Burdens

Mulai dari awal

Asami sniffled, trying to ignore their interaction. "What do you mean covering his own ass?" She asked.

"He probably felt just as guilty, not that I'm excusing it," she quickly added, "but guilty. Guilty because he could've come to pick you up himself, because he probably designed the car that couldn't keep his wife safe, because he was probably a terrible fucking husband. That's why he beats you."

"What?" Lyla asked in confusion. "No it's not. It has nothing to do with your mother's death."

"Yes, it is," Asami replied.

"Asami, he used to beat you before the accident, you do know that right?" Lyla said, looking at Asami like she just dropped out of the sky.

"What? No, of course he didn't." Asami shook her head. "I think I'd remember if he did."

"Not necessarily," Korra said, standing up and crossing her arms while looking at Lyla, "but what makes you think that?"

Lyla looked even more confused. "Because -"

But she didn't get to finish her sentence, because suddenly someone barged in, making Asami jump backwards. Only relaxing when she recognized Bolin's face.

"Korra! You're here too! I thought you didn't go to college?" He asked, confused.

"I thought you were still in highschool," she shot back.

"Fair point," he agreed.

"Jesus Bolin! You scared the living shit out of me!" Asami exclaimed, breathing heavily. "How did you even get here?!"

"Sorry," he flashed her with an apologetic smile, "I was visiting Mako, he's outside in our car. We were just coming to get you."

"Get me? What do you mean get me?" She narrowed her eyes. "I am not leaving campus! It's dangerous out there!"

"Wait, that's why you didn't wanna leave it this morning?" Korra asked, dropping her arms to the side and sounding somewhat hurt. "I told you I'll keep you safe."

"Doesn't mean I'm not scared," Asami mumbled.

"Asami, you gotta come with us," Bolin insisted, "haven't you heard? They're holding a protest outside of Future Industries, Opal and Jinora are coming too!"

"They're doing what?" Asami jumped on her feet. "What the fuck is wrong with people?"

"Wrong?" Bolin blinked. "We're fighting for what's right, for you!"

"I didn't ask for this, I don't want this." She shook her head. "God how did everything go so wrong..?"

"People are looking out for you, that's it." Bolin defended. "You know how high the rates of violence against women are? You're an example of-"

"I'm not an example of anything!" Asami exasperated for what felt like the millionth time today. "You people see what you want to see! This has nothing to do with sexism-"

"Yes, it does," Lyla interjected.

"You think you know better than me?" Asami called out in disbelief.

"No, but you're missing a very, very main and important fact." Lyla said seriously.

"You little-"

"We talked about this in law class," she didn't pay any attention to Asami's outburst, "my professor found some old article on the matter. Asami, your mother launched a complaint about domestic abuse years ago."