2. Hearts

News of Rey's pregnancy spread quickly across the galaxy, renewing the hope that perhaps the Jedi Order would, in fact, reemerge from the ashes of near-extinction. Ben and Rey had discussed the possibility of training young users of the Force, had even begun construction of a new Temple near the capital city of Naboo, but something always held them back. Their fear, though they would never admit it, was far too great with the still-fresh memories of the war they had barely won.

Finn and Poe were ecstatic when they heard about the baby (they were the first to know, naturally, and also appeared to be the source of the rapid spread of the news all the way to the Outer Rim), and were quick to offer their services should the parents-to-be need any help with preparations.

Having spent the majority of her life without a maternal figure to teach her about such things, Rey was completely blindsided by the changes her body endured throughout those turbulent months. Ben, bless his heart, tried his best to keep up with her near-constant mood swings and increasingly difficult demands, but he was reaching the limits of his patience.

After she first told Ben she was expecting, he was in denial for some time. He asked how she knew, how she could be certain it wasn't just a mild illness making her feel queasy each morning, something that could be cured. Rey wanted to be hurt, wanted her husband to feel some inkling of excitement as all growing families should feel. Not that she would know much about that. But, having witnessed his nightmares, she knew exactly why he wasn't happy. After all they'd been through and fought for to reach this point of freedom, to have it threatened so soon was overwhelming to say the least.

She'd missed her monthly cycle, she explained to him. After tracking it almost obsessively on Jakku, she knew exactly when it was due, and knew something wasn't right when it still hadn't appeared after a week. Then the dreams began. She dreamt of gentle laughter and tiny hands, splashing in the streams, running through the meadow beside their home, the complete opposite of Ben's violent visions. She saw her child in her mind, saw her own eyes in the plump face of a grinning toddler, eyes partially hidden behind unruly locks of raven hair just like their father.

Ben was in denial until his wife's belly began to swell, slowly at first, then enough that none of her old clothes fit the way they did before. Her daily bouts of nausea morphed into vicious mood swings, driving him mad - though he was truly afraid that if he even hinted at his misery, she would separate his head from his body without mercy. Neither Rey nor Ben noticed that the more severe her symptoms became, the less they thought of his nightmare and the warning it bore.

Rey went in search of a doctor as soon as she had her anxiety under enough control that she could manage a trip into the city without falling into a state of panic. Her only experience with doctors was after suffering a severe injury, so she wasn't entirely sure what to expect from a doctor under normal, non-life-threatening conditions. She was pleasantly surprised to find an older woman on the other side of the door she had been directed to.

"May I help you?" The woman asked, gentle face crinkling as she smiled. She had kind, almond eyes and silky black hair that framed her features in a way that made her look much younger than she appeared. Now that Rey really looked at her, though, it was hard to say what age she truly was.

"I'm pregnant," Rey blurted, the words still foreign on her tongue. She didn't know how else to begin the conversation.

The woman chuckled and glanced down at the bump barely concealed by Rey's tunic. "You don't say. Come inside, dear. I'll make you some tea." She held out her hand and Rey grasped it, noting the strength in the small woman's hand. "I'm Doctor Mika."

Rey smiled, feeling at ease in the doctor's presence. "I'm Rey. Rey Solo."

Rey followed behind the woman, taking stock of her surroundings. The home was modest and minimally furnished, but still bore the comfort of well-loved home.