Chapter 9: I am Human

Start from the beginning

He told himself the sudden feeling of belonging was only a fleeting thing.

Asia hugged him.

He tried hard not to look horrified. He didn't do hugs. It was not his way. Even on that beach with Yukari, the entire experience had been rather uncomfortable for him, though not for her.

The girl's arms seemed only to grow tighter when he tried to squirm free.

He sighed and patted her shoulders awkwardly. He guessed it was what he was supposed to do in a situation like this.

The door opening thankfully saved him from further violations into his personal space. Sirzechs entered, a bemused smile spreading across his face as he beheld the spectacle in front of him. The faint smile disappeared when his eyes settled on him, replaced by an expression that could only be described as curious thoughtfulness.

The devil inclined his head in his direction.

Sirzech: "Walk with me."

This time it was an order.

He broke away from Asia's embrace and the former priestess returned to Issei's side. He noticed how the two seemed closer somehow, and how the boy did not shirk from the girl's touch anymore.

How very interesting.

And then they were out the room, Sirzechs and him, walking in the very same hallway they did not an hour before. This time they were not alone. He could feel eyes watching them, their owners hidden behind the many doors that adorned the walls.

Sirzechs noted his bemusement and chuckled.

Sirzech: "They are devils that were invited by the participants' families to watch the Rating Game. Do not be alarmed. They are just surprised at the outcome of the match. That is all."

That was a rather substantial understatement.

They eventually stopped at one of the doors. Sirzechs pushed it open, and beckoned him in with a tilt of his head.

Sirzech: "After you."

He stepped in. His gaze was immediately drawn to the figures that were already in the room. A man who looked like an older version of Riser yet far more refined conversed with another man with grey hair that when exposed to the dim rays of light that entered from the windows, gleamed almost like silver. A graceful, elegant air settled about him, but there was also a hardiness, a toughness that radiated from his frame. The third figure stood alone to the side. The flaming red hair that flowed down his head was a mirror to Rias's and gave him the same dignified bearing as Sirzechs. A relative perhaps, he found himself pondering. He also took note of the lone table in the center of the room, the corresponding chairs, and the beautiful women dressed in maids' clothing that stood at each corner.

Devils. Even in a situation like this they still somehow found a way to be show off their decadence.

???: "I did not expect to see you here, Diehauser"

The man who looked like Riser was saying

???: "You are usually out with your peerage training in some other inhospitable environment."