Chapter 9: I am Human

When he walked into the same room they had gathered before the match, it was to be greeted by an entirely different atmosphere than before, as well as five pairs of wide eyes. There was no hostility in those gazes, nor was there fear. That was what surprised him the most. That despite what they had no doubt bore witness to, they were still unafraid of what he had done and what he could do. There was only confusion, as though they did not know what to make of him.

Rias stepped in after he did, gingerly sliding past. Their shoulders brushed, and she sent him a small smile in response. A smile that did not quite reach her eyes.

Her peerage surrounded her, and he watched her act the perfect master she was, alleviating Asia's fears with gentle words, nodding to Kiba when he asked if she was alright, smiling at Akeno's teasing with consummate grace.

It struck him then, that this was truly her peerage. Her group. Their group. He had never truly belonged. He had always been an outsider, a stranger amongst them. Even when he agreed to help, he had only been a temporary member. A passing acquaintance.

And that suited him just fine.

He turned to leave, not wishing to infringe upon what was their moment.

Rias: "Wait."

Normally, he ignored requests, but there was something about her voice that made him stop. He chanced a glance back and to his mild discomfort noticed that her cheeks had turned a rather deep shade of red.

 He chanced a glance back and to his mild discomfort noticed that her cheeks had turned a rather deep shade of red

Rias: "Don't go."

The look on Akeno's face suggested that Christmas had come early.

And then they were around him, her peerage, congratulating him for a victory well fought

And then they were around him, her peerage, congratulating him for a victory well fought. Kiba pounded his back hard enough to make him wince. Koneko smiled at him, something he had not yet seen the normally taciturn girl capable of doing until now. Issei gave him a friendly punch to the arm that would no doubt bruise in the morning. The slight stab of pain brought back another memory. Akihiko would often do the same after they brought down a particular challenging enemy. Both the punch and the bruising.