Chapter 20

“Where is Lydia staying?” Mickey asked. “Does she have a room here?”

“No,” Talon answered, earning a cold glance from the omega. “Lydia chose not to stay here. She’s booked in a hotel room in the city.”

Mickey raised a brow from the information before he looked at me. It was obvious what he thought. And the look he sent me seemed as if he was mocking my decision. He knew I did that for him, yet he dared to give me that look.

I broke eye contact and the first things my eyes landed on was Talon. He stared right back at me and it looked as if he wanted to say something, but I refused to give him access to my mind. Even though I knew whatever he wanted to say was for good intention, I didn’t want to hear it.

“You should stay here,” I said and nearly everyone in the room looked at me in surprise, including Mickey. “Staying here with other werewolves will be more comfortable for you. And like Octavia said, I’m sure they’re eager to meet you.”

Mickey narrowed his eyes at me. “Your fiancé’s come to the other side of the earth for you, and you don’t want him?”

I sneered at him as my teeth clenched. He spoke as if he wasn’t the fiancé in question.

“We both need time apart from each other. Besides, this way, you can keep tabs on Talon, to make sure there isn’t something going on between us.”

My words made his nostrils flare. “Should I be worried about someone as insignificant as him?”

He waited for my answer as I slowly looked at Talon once more. The other in the room didn’t know what Mickey and I were talking about, but they were definitely aware that we were having a private conversation.

“Judge for yourself.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Mickey growled aloud as he could no longer contain his voice. “Give me a straight answer.”

I chuckled bitterly. “My answer would anger you, either way. Like I said, judge for yourself.”

Then, without waiting for his next words, I turned away from him and nodded my head towards the other three.

“I’ll be leaving now.”

“Lydia,” Mickey said my name in a warning.

“I’ll be back tomorrow,” I ignored my fiancé. “Until then—”

“Lydia!”

“—please make sure he has a warm welcome. He’s my fiancé after all.” I smiled at Talon. “Alright, Alpha?”

Talon didn’t give me an answer. Not that I expected one from him anyway.

“Good night,” I said before I finally teleported away and back to my hotel room.

>>>>><<<<< 

“I had a weird dream recently,” Zachariah said.

The two of us were in my garden. It was a cloudy day, so we were able to sit on the marble benches without worrying about the sun. We usually came to the garden to relax and Zachariah told me about his adventures of being a Hunter from HELL.

However, he suddenly changed the topic.

“What kind of dream?” I asked.

He blankly stared up at the gray clouds above us before they slowly rolled down to the tree in the center of the garden.

“Of a tree.”

I raised a brow, waiting for him to continue. But he had dozed off, so I brought him back to reality. “What kind of tree?”