New Loves Part 66

The day was fine - not a scud of cloud - and the forecast was good for the whole day, though Ciara told them Ireland didn't so much have a climate, as weather: 'meaning that it can change 10 times in an hour, so be prepared for anything.'

Her predictions seemed off though, as it looked like being the most perfect, late summer's day.  Hye-won didn't feel much like breakfast  - a hint of queasiness lurking - but Ji-soo wouldn't hear of her skipping it and made her an omelette and watched as she ate it: 'you want to enjoy this day and you and the baby need to eat to be strong.'

Hye-won grimaced as Ji-soo bossed her mercilessly, while Seon-jae just grinned as she eyed him - you put her up to this - while he held his hands up - it wasn't me - and stayed well out of the firing line.  When Ji-soo was happy that Hye-won had eaten enough, she took her plate: 'ok, no more dawdling, girl time,' and Hye-won allowed herself to be kidnapped to Ciara's room.

It seemed that the women were determined to pamper her, painting hand and toe nails, moisturising her skin, fixing her hair and make-up, with much oohing and aahing about how beautiful and elegant she looked.  When she had put on the new, ivory-coloured, silk underwear, they admired how well it fitted and how sexy she looked and joked about how much Seon-jae would love it.  I can't disagree on that one.  When she was fully dressed and stood facing them, they both stood back and silence fell in the room.

'What's wrong?  Is it not ok?' 

Hye-won turned to look in the mirror behind her and couldn't quite believe what she saw - it was just as she had hoped for.  When she turned to look at the women, she saw that their silence had been because they were both in tears - happy, smiling tears - and then she felt the prick of tears too and began to dab her eyes which roused Ji-soo: 'aigoo - gosh - no, no tears, your eyes will be puffy, quick, Ciara, say something funny,' and that was so funny, that the 3 were instantly crying with laughter.

---

As agreed, Seon-jae had left in a taxi with In-seo and Dieter and as they made their way into the Faerie Glen, the weather smiled on them - sunny, almost balmy - the warmth releasing the scents of summer, so the air between the limestone walls smelled sweetly perfumed.  No-one said much but they didn't have long to wait, as they heard the light strains of the tin whistle and saw first Ji-soo - who appeared and stood to the left - then Ciara, behind her - playing as she walked - who stood to the right. Finally, Hye-won appeared in view, dressed all in ivory, in a swirling silk skirt with centre parting, fine-knit sweater and elegant heels.  She wore floral anklets and carried a simple posy of white, double-centred roses - gifts from Ji-soo and In-seo -  organised the day before with Ciara's help, which - when the women had presented them to her before leaving -  had almost caused the dreaded tears to flow once again.

The men all simultaneously moved - Dieter to the left, In-seo to the right, of Seon-jae - and every eye was now upon Hye-won and no-one moved or blinked.  Seon-jae couldn't believe how utterly perfect she looked heavenly and his heart thumping, he took a step forward, as she did.  To her eyes, he had never looked more beautiful, wearing a loose-fitting, light-cream suit over an open-necked, cream shirt, off-set by the stunning hair-cut.  Moving as though in a dream, they left their friends and walked towards each other, neither one's eyes leaving the other.  Their expressions were achingly tender - both feeling the significance of the moment - knowing they would remember it forever.  The plaintive solo whistle seemed to blend with the natural sounds of birds and buzzing, making their slow approach towards each other feel other-worldly.